Solved Your connection timed out ??? How to fix?

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by prisoneer, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prisoneer

prisoneer Senior Member

Hello,

I get tons of "Your connection timed out" when I have 2 or more D2 clients started...

Why is that so and how to fix it ?

Windowed mode

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  2. Quinneczech

Quinneczech Fat! Old! HardCORE! Forum Legend

I suggest you sacrifice a goat at the altair of Diablo 2 Connection Gods and pray to them for fixing that issue.

edit: now, since u started to provide some information, i just have a quick question for you... Arent you by any chance logging into same account?

3. prisoneer

prisoneer Senior Member

Wow awesome answer mate, but sadly it didn't work :)

Now could you please get back on Earth and answer me the normal way ?

4. Quinneczech

see the edit in my previous post.

5. prisoneer

prisoneer Senior Member

Well today I started 5 D2 clients, 2 of them from the same account, other 3 each different.
    But the errors Im getting are random... It drops the client that has only 1 hero in the account.. Then it drops the client that has 2 heroes from same account and so on and on

6. Gix

Gix Founder

What @Quinneczech said, otherwise it's a guessing game. Following could be a reason: crappy internet connection, temporary internet issues, faulty network card, OS issues, corrupted game files, other PC issues. My suggestion is to start with a complete game reinstall and if that doesn't work perform an OS reinstall.

PS: @prisoneer, you do realize @Quinneczech's initial answer answer is based on your question that lacks any helpful details right? Don't be rude and expect others to read your mind, offer as much information as possible not just telling us the error and expect some magic instant fix because most of times it doesn't work that way. Any information at all such as pc specs, operating system, game version, where is your game installed, running the game in full screen or window mode, through which executable you run the game from, etc give us a starting point.

7. prisoneer

prisoneer Senior Member

wow why is my OS required to get a normal answer?
    Almost nobody is using XP nowadays and everyone who uses a higher OS uses the compatibility mode in order to play..
    I said when I get the erros and I think that's enough.
    When I play with 1 client I get no errors at all.

If I have internet problems then why only 1 or 2 of 5 clients gets "Timed out" error
    I have a clean D2 install + Your patch which allows me to start many D2 clients...
    So I assume the problem is in your patch ?

8. inayat

inayat Head Game Master Moderator

When i have 2 chars from same account logged on in the same game and leave game with 1 char.
    Or 1 char in chat and 1 in-game from same account.

9. starxplor

starxplor Supporter

Because some people use MacOS or Linux (like myself). Additionally, compatibility mode in different versions of windows is subtly different, so for some issue even that could matter.

Fatty180, TimmyDeezNuts and Gix like this.
  10. Quinneczech

It has to be the "logging more chars from 1 acc at a same time" thing...

11. Gix

Gix Founder

You would be amazed how many people still use XP. https://mygaming.co.za/news/pc/116211-this-is-how-many-people-are-still-using-windows-xp.html
    About ~10% still use XP so that's a lot and when it comes to diablo2 it's quite a common used OS especially for those who don't hold a legal W7,W8,W10 license.
    Compatibility mode in newer OS is not required unless you have problems in starting the game.

First of all I've mentioned few of the possible causes that could lead to that but troubleshooting isn't always easy.
    Having internet problems doesn't guarantee that all game clients shall be affected, for example if you're loosing a lot of packets on the way some of the idling clients will not use as much bandwidth as other more active already open clients. Once again, that's only an assumption there could be a lot of other different reasons but may as well be network related.

If this was patch related, then everyone would have your issues. This alert message you're getting is client sided, meaning it comes from your end.

More clients = more internet bandwidth usage, more packets are being sent, etc. As far as I can see on google people advice on deleting `bnetcache.dat` files, reinstalling the game and/or the operating system and checking your connection which is being mentioned a lot.

12. prisoneer

prisoneer Senior Member

I think it's D2 problem because I'm also playing Lineage 2 (an MMORPG) and when I start 2-3 clients I get no such errors or internet loss.

13. Gix

Gix Founder

@prisoneer, that's irrelevant as they are different games and they make use of resources in a different way, besides you're the only one getting this. Isolated scenarios similar to your problem can be found on d2jsp and so far the connection has been brought up most times into the discussion. For example one of the threads I've read says the guy experienced the same thing as you did while being connected to it's router but everything was fine while being connected to the modem. Do you have a laptop or something to test it out on a different pc?

As @Quinneczech said, make sure you're not logging in with two characters stored on the same account otherwise you will be kicked back at the login screen everytime when you leave a game. Additionally make sure you are not running illegal 3rd party softwares and complete a scan of your computer to make sure you're virus free.

14. prisoneer

prisoneer Senior Member

I'm using laptop and its the only machine I have...
    I gave you an example with Lineage 2 as it requires better internet connection in order to run well.
    I dont think it will make a difference if I connect to the modem instead of the router, because as I said 3 Lineage 2 clients are working perfectly fine for many hours straight

Right now I made a test.. I logged in 5 D2 clients... 2 clients from same account , and the other 3 - different accounts... I created different games for all clients..
    I played for 2h straight and just now I got "Timed Out" on the last D2 client which had only 1 hero in account.
    When all or a few D2 clients are logged into the same game I get "Timed out" more often.. Like every 15-20min

Solved, after all it was an internet provider issue and most likely it had to do with different routings being affected during the packet losses. Things are back to normal now.

15. Wreck

Wreck Member

What happens when you open 5 Lineage clients and put it through the same paces you are trying to put this game through? Lets compare apples to apples here.
    Having ! 5 ! clients open at one time sounds like asking for connection/lag issues. Bring it down to 2-3 (if you really need even that many) open at one time and enjoy.
    I get the connection lost once every few days at the most, but I play on wireless, so I blame that. USWest did it too back in the day, and WAY MORE OFTEN, so to expect it to NOT be here would be silly.

Gix likes this.
  16. Nopik

Nopik Game Master

You can make some easy tests if want.
    1. take your laptop to visit some friend or familly member with DIFFERENT type of internet connection ideally and play there if it is the same, so probably it is in your laptop.
    2. Bring to your home other PC (still friends or familly can help i think) install D2 and play...
    3. If you use any switch or routers, remove it. Connect with cable to first place where you can connect. Example : I have ADSL connection, so i remove bouth of my router on the way and I connect to modem (first place where i can plug in my cable)
    SURE DONT USE WIFI FOR TESTS !!!!

Gix and Fatty180 like this.