Guide Glide Wrapper

Discussion in 'Guides' started by DSync, Oct 12, 2016.

1. inayat

inayat Head Game Master Moderator

Enhances your graphics a little and makes the game brighter.
    Personally i think its too bright.
    Dont use it myself.

Orx163 likes this.
  2. starxplor

starxplor Supporter

Games used to be written with optimizations for specific types of video cards. If you had one of these cards, you could get better performance out of a game. In this case 3D/FX Glide was used. Using a wrapper like this one allows the game to run as if it was on the targeted graphics card, gaining some features that were reserved for certain systems. Think of it like a game that is written in a special way to take advantage of dual graphics cards now, sure it runs on a single card, but does better on dual cards, not just faster but actual different features.

I believe you can get higher resolution and full screen with this particular wrapper, but I am not 100% sure on that.

3. Fkimn

Fkimn Member

Hi guys i have a problem, the games runs great but when i try to maximize the windows the image just stay in the same resolucion and the rest of the maximized window just fill with black screen..

How can i solve this?

4. TimmyDeezNuts

TimmyDeezNuts Rezident Ninja Forum Legend

Based on the glide-readme.txt you might want to check these settings:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  5. Deadlyiest

Deadlyiest Active Member

What is "target" is that just the title (i use windows 7) and when I change the game.exe" to "game.exe-w -3dfx -skiptobnet -" It wont open that anymore

6. Fkimn

Fkimn Member

thanks for answer me but i already try change those to, i can upload a cap screen for you to see what is the issue

Attached Files:

7. TimmyDeezNuts

TimmyDeezNuts Rezident Ninja Forum Legend

Target is the actual exe file the desktop shortcut is running. You may need to put a space between "game.exe" and "-w" or remove "-3dfx -skiptobnet"
    Are you using an integrated graphics card or standalone? When you run "Test" in glide-init.exe does everything look proper or is it offset as well? Could you post a screenshot of your settings in glide-init.exe along with what OS/graphics card you're using?

8. Fkimn

Fkimn Member

Im using a nvidia 230 a low quality graphics but is not integrated, i can play skyrim or d3 with this graphic card in low spec.
    The S.O is W7 sp1

here is a screen of the test https://image.ibb.co/dkwi5c/12222.png. I can not maximize that screen so seem work well, but d2 work well when i not maximize the screen to so i donk thing this might can help.

Anyway thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2018
  9. FourStringNinja

FourStringNinja Member

I did everything correctly and it works wonderfully. im just wandering if theres a way to make it full screen that im overlooking. the change to game.exe takes it from launching in full screen to launching windowed

10. Kefflar32

Kefflar32 Well-Known Member

Did you remove -w from target?

11. xiaoiicy

xiaoiicy Member

Kinda feeling the graphic is better in 3dfx but when i using it, it will crash often with the halted error.
    Is there nothing could be fix by using this 3dfx?

12. RandAlThor

RandAlThor Senior Member

Best Answer
    To help out some people who may still be having issues configuring everything, here are the settings(and issues) I ran into:

Step 1: Prepare Diablo 2 - Copy the 2 needed files(Glide3x.dll and glide-init.exe) to your D2 Install Folder - NOTE* The readmes files are not needed; ignore in-program warning.
    [​IMG]

Step 2: Choose Glide Wrapper: Run D2VidTest.exe from your D2 Install Folder* After the video test concludes, make sure Glide is selected and click OK.
    *NOTE: if nothing happens when you try to run the video test; Right-click it, and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility">Then select "Try Recommended Settings">Then Select "Test..."
    It should now run the vidtest program without issue, you can choose to save that compatibility fix on the windows dialog box if you wish.
    [​IMG]

Step 3: Run The Game(WERE NOT DONE): Don't configure anything, just launch the Game.exe file in your D2 Install Folder(as admin) and the game should start without issue at this point into a fullscreen mode. Go into a game, and check your graphics quality. For me, the screen/colors were very bright and washed out, I hated it(your preferences may differ). Here is a before and after for general illustrative purposes:
    Glide Wrapper before customization(washed out and bright imo)
    [​IMG]

Glide Wrapper after customization(much truer to D2 theme imo)
    [​IMG]
    Step 4: Configure Windowed/Fullscreen:

To configure your Glide settings, you must run Glide-init.exe from your D2 Install Folder - Below are settings for multiple configurations:

Configuring for a windowed experience:
    [​IMG]

There are only 4 settings that will matter in this scenario, they are explained below:
    window-mode: pretty straight-forward, we want it windowed, check it.
    captured mouse: if you want your mouse locked in the window during gameplay, check the box.
    static size: choose the best fixed window size to match your desktop resolution
    centered: choose whether you want the window to spawn in the center of the screen or the default left edge

Configuring for a fullscreen experience:
    [​IMG]

There are only 4 settings that will matter in this scenario, they are explained below:
    window-mode: pretty straight-forward, we want it fullscreen, uncheck it.
    keep aspect ratio: Maintain aspect ratio will not stretch the image at all, instead adds black bars on the sides to fill screen. Check or uncheck depending on preference.
    static size: select "no" to have the size adjust according to your resolution
    desktopresolution: decide if you want to use your desktop resolution or the standard game resolution

Step 5: Enhancing Glide Settings:
    As mentioned earlier, your colors/textures or other artifacting may be occurring at this point. Maybe everything is working fine, and you just want it to look better, either way, follow these settings on the "Renderer" section:
    [​IMG]

Almost all of these settings have some significance, they are explained below:
    texture-memory: Decides what size texture files to use, D2 doesnt have larger than 64MB; Max it.
    buffer-texture-size: Decides how detailed the textures are, again D2's biggest textures are 2x2; Max it.
    32-bit rendering: Some sprites/textures do not support 64-bit renders; Check it.
    textureforvideos: Kinda useless - pulls texture images for faster cinematic loads; It doesn't matter
    bilinear filtering: Helps smooth image to adjust for different aspects ratios/resolutions; Check it.
    supersampling: Renders game at a higher resolution and then scales it back down to native(Increased detail); Check it.
    shader-gamma**: Controls color tables and contrast values for visuals in-game.
    no gamma**:
    **NOTE: If you experience washed out colors, or you notice a change in the apparent contrast you don't like - you may need to disable shader-gamma and instead enable no gamma

Step 6: FINAL CONFIGURATION

On the "Extensions" option on left menu, make sure "WGL_ARB_render_texture" is checked. This will enable some extra features like a neat PoV parallax shift, and other things the devs had always MEANT for people to experience :)

Step 7: You thought you were done? HAHAHAHAHA

Just kidding, Enjoy the game :D

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    TimmyDeezNuts, Tzutzu79, Atox and 2 others like this.
  13. Evils

Evils Active Member

Hi there... made it work perfectly BUT after a wille it CRASHES everytime... like 3 or 4 game after
    Sting is integrated

14. Insz

Insz Member

I had this too. Use BH maphack instead of sting's
    There seems to be no way around it.

Gix likes this.
  15. evr

evr Member

Since i joined today i've been having weird issues with the glider. I don't like playing on windowed mode so i kept it full screen but sometimes, after multiple alt-tabbing, my whole system freezes and i have to hard reset it. Running glider windowed mode, at 1600x1200 fixes the issue but aswell presents 2 new issues - my game is thrown a little bit higher while having space on the bottom (see the picture below) and i just cant move the game window, it's impossible. And the second issue while in window mode is if i open the character panel (C) my mouse is moved left for some reason, and it's not returned back to it's original position. It's super annoying, especially outside farming. I'd be super happy if anyone has some solutions for me!

Attached Files:

16. Gix

Gix Founder

We debugged this together and the following settings fixed it for him
    Settings: https://gyazo.com/7871462e6d67f1975638efe14cd8e786
    Renderer: https://gyazo.com/a9f8ee380570455f7506ad38ce7d54cf
    Externsions: https://gyazo.com/018060f398ed9c417a54297c201b4817

A known problem of glide while using window mode is that when character sheet closes mouse cursor doesn't return to the right position.
    Running the game in a fullscreen borderless window will be the solution in this case so use the following glide settings window mode unchecked, desktop resolution checked, keep aspect ratio checked and start game with the following parameters -3dfx -w

Kefflar32 likes this.
  17. Oni poker

Oni poker Supporter

After dabbling with this thing for a few hours and figuring out - at long last, - my desired settings, there is one issue I still couldn't fix.
    How do I launch two clients at the same time? The original one works just fine, the other launches as a process but the window doesn't pop up at all. I'm currently Sandboxing it as a workaround, but obviously, I can't apply Sting's standalone to a Sandbox process, which is frustrating.
    Any clues, o' Wise Ones? :p

18. Orx163

Orx163 Supporter

i think its only working in full screen.. idk try with diablo II.exe 2 full screen mode never tryed.. but if u use window mode , just go trough diablo ii.exe

19. Oni poker

Oni poker Supporter

Ah, nevermind. After my 8th game crash I decided to "uninstall" Glide. I'd have to play without MH. Not worth the hassle.

20. Tzutzu79

Tzutzu79 You're too late, Hahaha.. Moderator

From my experience, glide just don't work well in full-screen mode. I used it only windowed, but still prefer d3d

• Draft saved Draft deleted