Another Ladder Discussion.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Doug, Oct 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug

Doug Member

We need a reset soon; kicking myself saying this.
    We a're losing a good amount of traffic.
    Would rather have more players then more stuff stacked.

2. Gix

Gix Founder

You barely see 20-30 players on other d2 private servers with rare exceptions for ~50 on fresh ladders while our server still has ~300 during peak times here ( even at this time when there isn't a peak hour we still got a lot of people for such an old game - http://prntscr.com/8v5jrg) and after 1,5+ years old ladder.

You're in 2015 (this game has been discontinued by his main creator couple years ago) not in 2005 so don't expect thounds of people online after a reset, get back to reality as there would probably be +100 people more or so. If you are so bored do what other bored people do: start fresh with another character, help out the new players, duel, get to level 99 or take a break.

There will be a reset and we shall ask people opinion regarding the official ladder/non-ladder system when this happens but not just yet and I've already explained why so go ahead and read the thread where we discussed about that instead of opening a new thread.

3. AnioŁ

AnioŁ Active Member

Gix, People make new threads about ladder because we want a new ladder. There comes Winter, so the best time to play, why you ignore us. We want a fresh competition. It would be nice if you at least made a poll on this.

4. Gix

Gix Founder

@AnioŁ, why you would say I ignore you if I already gave an explanation into a different thread about what restrict us from reseting ladder at this moment? I have clearly said that there will be one (I was planning one during the winter period anyway) but just not yet due to several reasons I've already mentioned. Maybe you should stop ignoring the important reasons that currently restrict us from doing that as I'm pretty sure you don't want to start fresh with some missing critical updates, security improvements and some patch updates. I definetly don't want that as there will be more frustration than entertainment. We plan on using an unique core on the next ladder that will share an unique security protocol between the gameserver executables, offering a fully secured server safe from exploits which this game is full of. Besides that we are also working on implementing different suggestions, updating patch and much more and as I have already said we have to wait for the developers as well, not everything is up to me and I can't set a deadline on that. All this takes time and everyone that is involved into this has also a private life, it's not like working on a private d2 server is all we do all day long. Remember this isn't a full time job for any of us even if we sacrifice a lot of our free time for it.

Also if some people come two months after a fresh ladder started and want to start a fresh competition as well should we reset it because of that? Longer lasting ladders is what we did for 10+ years and one of the reasons that made us popular but there will always be people that get bored fast and they will always seek for a fast and fresh reset which is not our mentality as a we followed a different pattern comparing to bnet. Patience and I'm sure everyone will enjoy the result. When the time comes I've already got several polls in mind starting with switching to bnet ladder/non-ladder style and much more but just asking the same question won't make things move faster.

I'm sure you wouldn't like to start playing on a fresh ladder with instability issues, downtime and games dropping, right? That is our main concern and as soon as I get the green light from the developer we'll be good to go and your will be able to get into that fresh competition, but I'm not willing to do it before I'm sure it's stable for the public and playable otherwise you would have a nightmare gameplay instead of a fun one.

Gameservers are much more complicated than you think, especially old ones. Probably you forgot the exploit from last year when games were crashin every single minute and this old game is full of such things while being popular makes it worse because no one would mess around with the ghost ones that barely have a few people on. Diablo servers are mostly dead or empty because due to many security issues and exploits that the game has (we fixed a ton of them), others try to mod the game to much by turning the server into crap or simply because not many people would sacrifice their time on a dead game with no benefits just to host players like Doug and others I've seen acting the same that will never be able to appreciate anything.

@Doug, your forum account is temporary suspended for your last reply that I've deleted. If security concerns (meaning really important things) are "bullshit" for you then I would love to see you playing on a fresh ladder with games crashing every few minutes or worse. If you don't understand the technical side of gameservers that doesn't mean you have to act like a jackass because we don't reset the ladder asap, on your command. It's not like we are forced to listen to your childish rude attitude and if you want to have more players in a dead game then start helping the new people that join the server (some of you expect to get help during start but never return that favour back) or login on bnet and have fun with the bots, because you clearly forget you're in 2015 playing a 15 years old game.

AnioŁ likes this.
    Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.