Solved Help with multiboxing

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by milky783, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milky783

milky783 Member

Hey all,
    I am fairly new to these servers, I can play on a single instance no problem but when I try to load the game for a 2nd instance it just says "cannot run more than 1 copy of d2 at a time"..

As far as I know there is a way to multibox, what am I doing wrong exactly?
    Cheers
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 13, 2018, Original Post Date: Nov 13, 2018 ---
    anyone? lol

2. RandAlThor

RandAlThor Senior Member

It is likely you don't have all the files needed for multiboxing.
    How did you get setup on this server? Was it an install from existing files, a fresh install from files here, etc?

There are a few stickied guides with screenshots, as well as a "portable" version that can be used to simplify the process further. I would double-check those instructions have been followed.
    No special setup or procedure is needed to multibox if installed correctly.

Let us know if you have any further issues/questions.

3. Angeloffaith

Angeloffaith Grail Done Supporter

run another window with are patch same one only need to do is run same one again

4. Gix

Gix Founder

Best Answer
    Hey there @milky783 . Sounds like you're missing the library files required to open multiple game instances or they were not replaced with the ones we provide.
    You can manually download them from here, open the archive then get the D2gfx.dll and D2Multi.dll and overwrite these two files with what you already have in your game folder.
    In case you have more than one diablo client installed in your computer make sure you are using the correct game path, let us know.

Kefflar32 likes this.
  5. milky783

milky783 Member

This worked, I had to manually delete the existing dll files and then replace them with the ones you directed me to. Am I able to join the same game with 2 characters? I tried and one of them always gets an unhandled exception and closes, although I can run in 2 separate games no problem

6. RandAlThor

RandAlThor Senior Member

There are no issues with joining the same game instance with multiple separate characters. If you are receiving an error upon doing so, then you still have mismatching or missing client files. The link Gix provided doesn't have all the required .DLL you need, only a few he thought you were missing. I recommend either using the portable version as previously mentioned, or copying over all DLL's from it.

With the current client setup process, this is a frequent occurrence, so I wouldn't feel bad. Let us know if you have any questions.

7. Gix

Gix Founder

@milky783, you are able to join the same game with 2 characters that belong to one account however once you leave the game you will be kicked back to the login screen and need to relog which is why is more recommended to have them on two separate accounts but that's just personal preference. This behaviour is game specific and cannot be changed.

If overwriting didn't work and you had to manually delete the old dlls in order to copy the new ones it could be due to some permissions problem with the folder which is definetly not a frequent occurence.
    The archive I provided earlier on contains only the two separate dlls necessary solely for multiboxing but these are already included by default into the realm patch that you installed when you joined this server so it's uncommon to have them replaced manually again considering multiboxing is working properly for everyone else. What dlls did you deleted exactly and where is your game folder located?
    If you had or still have multiple diablo clients installed, make sure the proper game path is being used to launch the game. I suggest re-patching the game client from our website or directly from here and make sure to overwrite all the existing files within the game folder then double click the EuropeBattle Gateway.reg file once you're done. Additional information can be read here in case you are still having issues.
    Let us know.