IronMan Competition

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MMladenov, Apr 30, 2020.

1. MMladenov

MMladenov Well-Known Member

Hi everybody,

I`m playing here from 3 years and I`ve participated in several events (all of them were amazing - protect the andy, pvp 18lvl), but I`ve never seen one of the events to be hosted: The IronMan event.
    I`ve waited such an event from 3 years, so can I suggest an organization for such an event? I can help with the organization as well, if necessary.

It would be a great pleasure for many hardcore players (even for the softcore players - they will have the opportunity to taste the hardcore life and take part in it in the future).

Thank you very much and wish all the best!
    Regards,
    MMladenov

2. Atox

Atox Senior Game Master Moderator

Hi there @MMladenov, thank you for your suggestion but this kind of event takes a long time to host so when we will have the time for it we will host it.
    Cheers.

MMladenov likes this.
  3. Gix

Gix Founder

The original Ironman which is a PvM event is really fun indeed and I remember people having loads of fun when they used to be hosted, however, as @Atox mentioned the downside of such event is that it takes a lot of time so you need to consider those who are able to sit and play the game for 10 hours or more in one run, without interruptions. A stable internet connection is a must as well.
    The few game masters that used to host this kind of event before were unable to do it anymore in the previous ladder due to various personal issues and no one else offered to organize such an event.

How can you help with organizing such an event? Do you have any experience with organizing any events?
    As far as I see it the only way would be for someone to stream the entire time and by doing this I think we could approve it as an official event. The GM could basically be contacted in case rules are not being followed, watch the stream and disqualify that player if necessary.

MMladenov and Atox like this.
  4. MMladenov

I understand your worries - probably the best time for an event like this will be Saturday/Sunday. I think many of the players will be active during the weekends (because of the quarantine)
    Yes, I do have experience with organizing events - mostly PvP softcore and PvP 9lvl/18lvl hc in other servers (this was part of my GM application before an year ago). Currently I`m using a machine with the following parameters:
    • AMD Ryzen 7 4800H (2.9/4.2 GHz, 8M)
    • NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6
    • 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
    • 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD
    so, I think i can handle the streaming. I`ve already spoken with several players @Hardcore if they will participate in such event - the answer was 'yes', but everything is up to the GM board.

Thank you Atox and Gix for the response!

sphinx25 likes this.
  5. inayat

inayat Head Game Master Moderator

Hey there,

i hosted and been part of all 5 ironman pvm events we did.
    The very first run we did took over 14 hours, the more we did the better we became at it. But would still take around 12+ hours.
    First run we underestimated the duration and we started at noon (12.00), after 14 hours only 3 of us managed to get to act 4 hell.
    After i died in act 4 the other 2 gave up. By that time it was already 02.00-03.00, so we were kinda falling asleep and making mistakes.
    The next runs we decided on an earlier time around 08.00-09.00 to have a decent completion end time where people would still be fresh and not sleepy.
    But it is not the duration alone, team work is the most important factor here. Cause you can only use the gear you find, characters classes have to be balanced.
    Like barbarian and sorc are very important to your survival, had 2 runs where the persons playing these quit the run halfway, ruining it for the rest of us.
    Stress can play a factor also, since most people are now used to rush and bh runs, i dont think there are many people out there atm, who have done a full run walking from start to end in all acts.
    Where you have to find and get all waypoints and do all quests in given order. stuff like getting stuck between 2 people in maggot lair and then die of the beetle lightning or another person getting lost and stuck somewhere and you have to go back and find him cause he is surrounded by monsters. It is against the rules to leave a person behind, you have to go back and help him. Or someone picking a class they dont know how to play, not making use of the full potential and added survivability to the team. This makes for some interresting builds wich most people dont play or even have knowledge off, like support skills, sole for the purpose of surviving, meaning you dont do much dmg, you will leave that to other classes. Paladin for example the defensive auras can be a life saver in many cases, same with barbarian, with all the warcry abilities you have to utilize and not only BO. Sorc cause of teleport to teleport behind monster to kill them and clear the way if we get hit by too much aoe dmg, like fire or lightning enchanted monsters.
    You need to have a balanced team of support and damage and not go all out damage on all characters.
    Strategy is vital here and having a good leader wich everyone follows without hesitation or aguing is key. Without this your run is already doomed before you start.
    Before you even start, you will already discuss who will play what character and what role they will have, attack or support.
    But once you get everything going and you have a good team, the run can be fun and full of excitement with a lot of adrenaline pumping, cause this is playing diablo like you have never played before.

MMladenov and sphinx25 like this.
  6. sphinx25

sphinx25 Well-Known Member

@inayat I will report you to @Gix for making an epic comment about D2 gameplay :)
    Very well articulated piece, kudos and hat off from me!

7. MMladenov

@inayat thank you very much for your time and the response! I`ve thought about that before posting the comment and I can propose a solution to this case (to avoid game > 5 hours):

- the registered players will share their acc name, pref chars (at least two options) and where they are currently playing (softcore/hardcore);
    - for example: every team will contain a core (from 3 to 5 hardcore players - because most of the hardcore players are strictly PvM oriented) and the team will be expanded with players from softcore - so the teams will be balanced;
    - using discord (or other app for communication between the players) will improve the speed of the run. Another good idea (but not a compulsory one) - the players can mention in the registration where they are from, so if someone of the team cannot speak English properly - another will help him with translation/communication.
    - additional award for the first team completing the event - the event is not a competition, but a small reward for the first team for completing the event will speed up the run.
    - every team must have at least one person dedicated to stream the gameplay.

Quick example re- above (after distribution):
    - acc: David, pref. char: Necromancer/Druid, playing at: hardcore, country: UK, stable i-net connection for streaming: yes
    - acc: George, pref. char: Sorceress/Paladin, playing at: softcore, country: Greece
    - acc: Alexander, pref. char: Sorceress/Barbarian, playing at: softcore, country: Greece
    - acc: Zsigmond, pref. char: Paladin/Amazon, playing at: hardcore, country: Hungary
    - acc: Csaba, pref. char: Paladin/Sorceress, playing at: hardcore, country: Hungary
    - acc: Oliver, pref. char: Paladin/Assassin, playing at: hardcore, country: UK
    - acc: ALWIN, pref. char: Sorceress/Druid, playing at: softcore, country: Denmark
    - acc: Leo, pref. char: Assassin/Druid, playing at: softcore, country: Spain

- acc: Korneliusz, pref. char: Paladin/Druid, playing at: hardcore, country: Poland
    - acc: Nataniel, pref. char: Sorceress/Paladin, playing at: hardcore, country: Poland, stable i-net connection for streaming: yes
    - acc: Walenty, pref. char: Sorceress/Barbarian, playing at: hardcore, country: Poland
    - acc: Zbigniew, pref. char: Paladin/Assassin, playing at: hardcore, country: Poland
    - acc: Zygmunt, pref. char: Paladin/Barbarian, playing at: hardcore, country: Poland
    - acc: Antiogu, pref. char: Necromancer/Assassin, playing at: softcore, country: Italy, stable i-net connection for streaming: yes
    - acc: Arrigo, pref. char: Sorceress/Druid, playing at: softcore, country: Italy
    - acc: Ivan, pref. char: Amazon/Barbarian, playing at: softcore, country: Bulgaria

- acc: Kiril, pref. char: Paladin/Druid, playing at: hardcore, country: Bulgaria
    - acc: Ilian, pref. char: Necromancer/Paladin, playing at: hardcore, country: Bulgaria
    - acc: Stanislav, pref. char: Sorceress/Barbarian, playing at: hardcore, country: Bulgaria
    - acc: Martin, pref. char: Amazon/Barbarian, playing at: hardcore, country: Bulgaria, stable i-net connection for streaming: yes
    - acc: Kristian, pref. char: Paladin/Barbarian, playing at: hardcore, country: Bulgaria
    - acc: Aubrey, pref. char: Sorceress/Druid, playing at: softcore, country: France
    - acc: Remi, pref. char: Sorceress/Paladin,, playing at: softcore, country: France, stable i-net connection for streaming: yes
    - acc: Adam, pref. char: Assassin/Barbarian, playing at: softcore, country: Romania

Regards

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  • Draft saved Draft deleted