Guide Diablo 2 on Linux with WINE

Discussion in 'Guides' started by starxplor, Jan 2, 2022.

1. starxplor

starxplor Supporter

Here is how I play Diablo 2 on Linux. If anyone has suggestions to include, let me know and I will consider adding them to this post.

Part 1: Stuff to download
    1) Get the latest Wine software from https://wiki.winehq.org/Download
    2) Install Diablo II or download the portable version from here Diablo 2 Client Download or Mirror
    3) Download the EuropeBattle Installer or EuropeBattle Archive and extract the contents into your game folder replacing all files.
    4) Download a maphack if you want, being either Sting or BH but make sure to use the default integrated version http://europebattle.net/d2/tools

Part 2: Configuring stuff
    1) Run "wine Diablo\ II.exe" first. This will prompt to install the wine-mono runtime, say yes. Close the game immediately, do not attempt to connect to battlenet.
    2) Running "wine EuropeBattleInstaller.exe" it will prompt to install wine-gecko, say Yes. Chose your D2 game folder and tell it to install. Close the installer when done.
    3) Alternatively, unzip EuropeBattle.zip and copy the unziped files into your D2 game folder, merging and overwriting all files.
    4) run "wine regedit EuropeBattle\ Gateway.reg" This is required to configure Diablo 2 to properly connect to the EuropeBattle servers.
    5) Unzip D2StingMapHack.zip and copy unzipped files into your D2 game folder, overwriting files.
    6) To configure maphack, I suggest checking these posts (I personally use a modified version of atox config with Sting MH): http://forum.europebattle.net/threads/sting-maphack-configuration-guide.537869/ and http://forum.europebattle.net/threads/atox-sting-config.544865/ or http://forum.europebattle.net/threads/bh-maphack-configuration-guide.540603/
    7) I use ddraw option for full screen, but -w option for windowed mode can be used and is useful for muling. If using ddraw or 3dfx, be sure to hit the gear icon and configure as desired.

Part 3: Running the game
    1) When launching the game for the first time, there is a significant delay between the gameguard check and the game client actually loading. This is normal, just be patient.
    2) When connecting to "battlenet", there is a delay while it checks the version. This is normal, just be patient.
    3) When alt-tabbing out of the game in full screen mode, it may flicker screen while returning resolution to 'normal'.
    4) Enjoy D2!

Part 4: Known ssues
    1) Running Wine 7.0-RC and installing mono runtime when prompted appears to be enough without any specific .NET install to run the new launcher.
    2) If you are using an older Wine version and run into any .NET issues, make sure you have .NET 4.0 installed. Older versions do not work, and newer versions appear to be missing something when installed via Wine.
    3) To install any .NET version, the offline installer is suggested, as there tend to be connection issues with the online web installers trying to download components from Microsoft. Just search online for ".NET $version offline installer"
    4) Auto-teleport injector plugin doesn't seem to like dealing with WINE. I have not tried it with the latest versions of Wine though, so it may work now if anyone else wants to give it a try.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    Vegitto, Ezekiel, kiwifruit and 3 others like this.
  2. RainbowOveja

RainbowOveja Member

I can't install it :(

3. starxplor

starxplor Supporter

If you are having trouble installing WINE, their docs are pretty good.

Kefflar32 likes this.
  4. akapish

akapish Member

Try Lutris

5. Arc-Arc

Arc-Arc Senior Member

Thanks a lot! This guide really help me, now I can play again

6. Arc-Arc

Arc-Arc Senior Member

Also, if you want to be able to use the scroll to change between abilities of your char, normally you set the compatibility on Windows XP for the application, how do you do this on WINE?
    Here's the answer: you must run on your terminal winecfg, it will open this:
    upload_2022-5-18_9-31-13.png

Sorry, it is in Spanish, but you will get the idea when you read the explanation. This window is the "Applications" of your wine. Here's the list of the applications and how wine must run the applications, based in the windows's version that you choose. First at all, you gotta click "Add application", this will open another window where you gotta go to the path where you have the diablo application. Choose the Diablo 2 Launcher, cause it's the better way (believe me). Right down of the "Add/Delete application" buttons, we have the Version of Windows that we want to imitate, here you choose Windows XP..
    Finally, you just click apply and that's all. Have a good day and good luck!

Kefflar32, colder and Gix like this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted