[GUIDE] Diablo II : Gems

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by StoneCold, Nov 23, 2009.

1. StoneCold

StoneCold Member

Precious gems embody innate magical abilities. When set into a socketed item these gems can add powerful magic effects. Higher grades of gems have stronger effects. There are five grades of gems: chipped, flawed, standard, flawless, and perfect. Once inserted, gems cannot be removed from a socket. Touching a gem shrine either produces a gem or upgrades one gem (randomly chosen from your character's inventory) to the next higher grade. The skulls of some demonic creatures, inscribed with eldritch symbols, are said to work much like gems.

Upgrading Gems
    You can upgrade gems by using a Gem Shrine or by using the Horadric Cube. You can use the Horadric Cube to convert gems into higher quality gems. Place 3 Gems of one type into the Horadric Cube and hit the Transmute button.
    Vendors do not normally sell Gems
    If another player in a multiplayer game sells a Gem to a Vendor you may be able to buy it.
    Vendors also will not typically pay you full price for socketed items.
    Gem effects Stackable
    If you place 3 Gems of the same type in a sword you will receive the bonus of all three.
    The first Gem that is placed will determine the color of the weapon. If there are several different types of Gems in a sword, it will randomly display an attack based on those types of Gems in the sword. So one swing will show cold damage, while the next shows poison attack but all of them are working at the same time.

Note: For Emeralds, when calculating the final damage after the gems have been added, the damage (but not the length) is added up.
    The real damage of poison internally is held as damage per frame and duration in frames, in many cases (including gems, skills, items and so on), the true poison damage is actually a non integer number and the shown value is truncated, meaning you can, if the fractions add up, see some "bonus" effects which is in fact not a bonus, just fractions adding up and being shown when the game truncates the poison damage.
    Once the final damage has been calculated by adding the Emeralds, it does X damage total, over its Y duration.

Sapphires
    The Freeze Durations are cumulative.

Skulls
    Weapons: Adds Mana and Life Steal to attack
    Shields: Adds attacker takes damage
    Helms and Armor: Adds Mana and Life regeneration

[​IMG]

Amethyst
    Weapons: Adds to Attack Rating
    Shields: Adds to Defense
    Helms and Armor: Adds to Strength

[​IMG]

Sapphire
    Weapons: Adds Cold Damage
    Shields: Adds Resistance to Cold

[​IMG]

Emerald
    Weapons: Adds Poison Damage
    Shields: Adds to Resistance to Poison
    Helms and Armor: Adds to Dexterity

[​IMG]

Ruby
    Weapons: Adds Fire Damage
    Shields: Adds Resistance to Fire
    Helms and Armor: Adds to Maximum Life

[​IMG]

Diamond
    Weapons: Adds to Damage vs. Undead
    Shields: Adds to all Resistances
    Helms and Armor: Adds to Attack Rating

[​IMG]

Topaz
    Weapons: Adds Lightning Damage
    Shields: Adds to Resistance to Lightning
    Helms and Armor: Adds Chance to find Magic Items
    Helms and Armor: Adds Maximum Mana

[​IMG]

Fullmetal, L4Dy and sayfar like this.
  2. Xollst

Xollst Member

hey, im new to this server, but iv'e been playing d2 for years and years (my cds are so beat up at this point that i had to download a torrent instead of being able to play with my owned copy, this was by far the best online network to play on)

i'm wondering why i cannot upgrade gems on this server?

i've noticed that my inventory always has 2-3 unuseable slots, chosen at random when i make a new character, and my horadric cube will not let me put items into it by dropping an item on it's icon. i have to open the cube to put an item into it. and even then, i cannot make full rejuvination pots, nor can i upgrade gems.

ie. i put 3 rejuvs in the cube and press transmute and nothing happens. i'll put 3x chipped diamonds into the cube, transmute, nothing happens.

just wondering if there's a way to remedy this?

3. BoneHorror

BoneHorror Member

For the inventory bug you just have to download the pach Sephiroth made and copy to DiabloII folder. Here is the link: http://rapidshare.de/files/48694749/Patch_D2.mpq.html
    About the horadric cube i never had that problem before. Try first to solve the inventory problem, if you still can't transmute try to reinstall your game.

4. Otep

Otep Member

the problem is not your fault. What this server looked for is a way to be allowed to put more items inside of your cube for more inventory space. In order to empty that cube your going to have to put the cube in your inventory and then throw it out and all the stuff that you may have put in a while ago are in there. I hope that helps.

• Draft saved Draft deleted