Infinity for cold sorc?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Kurkikohtaus, Dec 20, 2018.

?

Does Infinity make sense for a cold sorc?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Kurkikohtaus

Kurkikohtaus Member

Is there any point in having my merc equip Infinity if I am a cold sorc? My mastery is giving me about -200 enemy cold resist, will Infinity increase this further or is it redundant?

2. maxmadness

maxmadness Senior Member

It will not stack,it will break cold immunes..but not all !

3. Kurkikohtaus

Kurkikohtaus Member

Thanks for the reply @maxmadness , could you elaborate a little?

So the infinity hits a pack, lowers their resists, and then how does my cold mastery affect that?

4. inayat

inayat Head Game Master Moderator

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Fatty180, Atox and Gix like this.
  5. Kurkikohtaus

Kurkikohtaus Member

@inayat in that post you linked, you write:

I dont understand what you mean by "1 point over the cap". 115 (or whatever) from cold mastery will effectively reduce a 99 cold resist to zero, am I right? So since monsters cannot go below zero, anything else is wasted? So why then is cold mastery scaled the way it is lvls 1-20 and beyond? Anything above 100 seems to be useless if this explanation is correct. So the question remains, a cold sorc gains NO BENEFIT from Infinity?

6. maxmadness

maxmadness Senior Member

Monsters can go up to -100,so lets say you have Baal with 75 cold res...you will need -175 res from mastery to get the best dmg.

7. Kurkikohtaus

Kurkikohtaus Member

Ahh I misread @inayat 's post, -100, not Zero. Thx for the clarification.
    So if my cold mastery with +skill items is about 200% then infinity is a bit of a waste, assuming I don't care about trying to break immunes with it ... ?

8. ErrorIRL

ErrorIRL KYSNOW2 Supporter

You will break immunity from monsters such Travincal Council, Chaos Mages.

9. colder

colder One of the Legends Game Master

Hi , how @ErrorIRL and others said up infinity is good for any sorc cold also because general you cant break all cold immunes but if monster is Not immune , he can get - res like a act boss (dia,baal etc.) so more sucesfull , im using infi on my cold sorc hc so if you have infi i recommend to use it on merc.
    Ps: You have here fyll rejuv pots so ekhm mana is not problem and merc get a extra CB% to kill faster immunes.

10. ErrorIRL

Convinction does work for other class such Poisen Necro, C.E Necro, Druid Cold, fire, physical, also Fire Sorc. I'm pretty sure the guy asked if he can break majority of immunes, like with lightning sorc. No, you can't. The easiest to break are lightning immunes and physical(conviction + amplify)
    Anyways, is NOT a must item in your gear. You put few sk's and literally destroy every boss pack in chaos, throw blizzard and use telekinesis, you won't need to press blizzard twice. You have trouble with immunes ? Follow @inayat advice and put as much Crushing blow as you can.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Tzutzu79 likes this.
  11. Waffle

Waffle Supporter

Just a minor correction to the post above: Conviction does not lower Poison resistance.

Fatty180, Kefflar32 and offline like this.
  12. maxmadness

maxmadness Senior Member

Not true ... conviction doesnt affect poison dmg !!

offline and Oni poker like this.
  13. Oni poker

Oni poker Supporter

Remember that unless you're Light and hell bent on wielding it, Infinity is not a PvP thing.
    That out of the way, Infinity for a cold PvM sorceress has only three uses:
    1) Breaking low immunities (up to 116% resist; when breaking immunities, Conviction aura and Lower Resist curse works with 1/5 effectiveness, meaning that level 12 Conviction from Infinity will reduce the resistance of an immune monster by 17%. Note that it stacks with Lower Resist curse, so if you can get a wand with charges of that curse, you can potentially break even stronger immunities).
    About a half of regular monsters in game can be Convicted below 100% with Infinity, though rare/boss monsters sometimes can't;
    2) "Out-convicting" enemy auras (when two Conviction auras clash against each other, the weaker one will be disabled, which is helpful against some rare mobs with Conviction aura and sometimes abused in Uber Tristram when dealing with Mephisto's level 20 Conviction aura);
    3) Giving you an effective equivalent of 17 Cold Mastery skill increases (if you can deal with being dependant on your mercenary and his delayed, low radius Conviction aura, having him wear Infinity will spare you 17 skill points you would otherwise have to put in Cold Mastery, leaving you with much, much more flexibility to your build - possibly allowing you to go Fire-Cold hybrid).

It's missing the 4th point that it has for other elements: actually making you viable. Because you are already viable. You are cold, after all.

So while on paper it looks as though Infinity made even more sense on a Cold sorceress than on any other, the fact remains that it may be quite useless against base/low resistance enemies.
    It is a powerful tool on your Mercenary - Infinity has godly mods on its own, and Conviction further increases the elemental damage he deals (as low as it would be) and reduces enemy's defense rating, which your Mercenary just loves.
    On a Cold PvM sorceress, though, it's not mandatory to have it to remain relevant on Hell, nor vs. immunities. It's a matter of your personal preferences, builds, or your sense of ''cool''. A fully equipped Mercenary will dispatch cold immunities quickly himself, especially with a Might aura on (you won't be needing Holy Freeze now, will you?). Against opponents with base/low cold resistance rating, though, Infinity might be a waste of runes, as your Cold Mastery will have dropped them to -100% resistance before Conviction actually kicks in.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Fatty180, Kefflar32 and ErrorIRL like this.
  14. Kurkikohtaus

Kurkikohtaus Member

Thanks to all for your thoughtful replies, I think I have the perspective that I need in order to decide what to do with my newly aquired Ber runes.

15. ErrorIRL

baginn likes this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted