Azurewrath - Should we buff it?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Creampie_Carl, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creampie_Carl

Creampie_Carl Member

Hello all,

Very long time veteran here, new to this server. For that reason, this is somewhat a bold proposal but I got the idea from a few changes already enacted on the buffs already given to a couple of rare armors. I hope this doesn't seem disrespectful, as I only am making these suggestions due to the fact other items have already been heavily modified.

Azurewrath, creatred by Tyrael and wielded by Izual, is pretty... lackluster, for a sword of legend (and level req 85) imho. I also recall it being quite rare (correct me if I'm wrong on that).

What does the community think about potentially upping it a bit; perhaps adding ITD or more phys? Maybe set it to always drop Indestructible AND Ethereal (better fitting of it's angelic forging)? I would just love to see this sword more of an epic, end-game "OMG I found Azurewrath!" rather than a mediocre item. For the record, I don't play any characters that would use it so it isn't for personal gain, nor do I think it should affect existing items. I simply got the idea by thinking about the armors that got buffed and the fact that this game is so old, it could be a fun way to breathe a little fresh life into it? When I was considering coming onto this server one of my first thoughts was "Wow, that's sick, I really wanna find a Tyrael's Might for the first time ever... and it gives competition to the way over-saturated Enigma!" (and you guys also made Occy not annoying AF, which is also a nice change).

Perhaps make the drop rate extremely low and make it BiS to replace the commonly used Grief PB? I'm just curious as to how the community feels about such potential changes.

Theoretical: It now spawns Eth/Ind and ITD. It's now probably BiS for zealots and some other builds. But Grief PB would still be best in slot for Smiters, and still be an amazing item so people shouldn't have buyers remorse for crafting one (especially if Azurewrath dropped with Zod rarity).

I know that I personally would like to see some changes to the meta, as it's been pretty much the same for a decade. I would enjoy seeing some unique items of lore be boosted to be BiS (or comparable) with extreme rarity if only to change things up a bit. Even if the drop rate became astronomical, it would be a welcome thing for me, even though I'd likely never own one. For me, grinding for BiS gear is the best part of this game, so adding a new "unicorn" sword with appropriate style and lore would be great.

What if some other very epic items that are lack luster got some cool mods? Schaefer's Hammer also having a chance spawning ethereal?

Your thoughts, guys? Am I totally off my rocker here or do other people think this could breathe a little fresh air into all of our favorite game? What about also changing a few other items as well? Personally, I love the Runewords and all, but people have been farming for Infinity, Grief, CoA, etc for a VERY long time and I would love to see a more active approach to the meta since this is something that could actually be done on this private server! It's not as good as an official patch 1.15 with 20 new runewords, but it's an idea. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    toly, Nyou, Fatty180 and 1 other person like this.
  2. RandAlThor

RandAlThor Senior Member

I'm sure there are merits on both sides of the camp regarding modifications like this. I think many of us would welcome breathing life into items that are now simply unused. That being said; it's hard to please everyone even if they agree on what items need editing. For example: I dislike the fact that Occy tele has been replaced with vigor - others like yourself enjoy it.

I think ultimately if we truly want mods done to specific items; we would need to be both specific and vocal as a community to let the admins know it's indeed a desired change. Without that; it might be more risk than reward for the admins to change items; if it then just upsets the other half of the community who didn't want it changed. Six one way, Half-A-Dozen the other, sorta-speak.

As for Azurewrath specifically; I definitely agree it is not a widely used weapon, and maybe should have a little bit more "yay" attached to it when it drops for you. However, it still is a fairly unique weapon as it's the only 1h weapon I can think of that grants a 10+ sanctuary aura. So maybe then it deserves to be a little "lower" on the list - offensive abilities are almost always preferred over defensive ones. Who knows.

Side Note: You can't have an Eth item spawn with an Indestructible Mod on it by default (Why there are no Eth Stormshields, Leviathans, etc). Phase Blades also have no durability stat at all, so they cant be ethereal, as they dont have durability to lose in the 1st place.

3. Creampie_Carl

Creampie_Carl Member

I totally see where you are coming from. I'd really like to hear what this community has to say on the issue, though, as this is the only place this would even be a possibility. I agree with your points about the aura, too.

Unfortunately, this thread didn't really get any discussion so perhaps I should just assume people aren't really that interested in changing things up (despite a few likes). But perhaps it's just me, but I can't fathom how people wouldn't want a little new life breathed into all of our favorite game. I mean this game is now so old it could be having children were it human.

Perhaps we as community could take a poll on making our own patch? I doubt new runewords would be possible to implement (but I don't know for a fact, since they were able to completely change some uniques), but it could be a really fascinating and amazing thing. Maybe give Leviathan +2 to all skills? Maybe create a new runeword entirely from the ground up?

It just feels so empowering to be able to change things; but I understand that some people would likely hate ANY changes, simply because it is change.

4. Kefflar32

Kefflar32 Well-Known Member

reason why I am here and loving it is because this server stays blizzlike. if you want your own patch then you can play a sp mod but all mods get boring fast
    it was said only small changes will be made that can be useful and improve the game but dont expect crazy things complete new op runewords or spawn indestructible items as ethereal because once you do it add new runewords and items all kind of crap the game is no longer fun and balance fades but that is my opinion reason why there vanilla and mods exist you can choose from
    no matter the changes this will stay an old game, if you want a fancy new game with new items, options and graphics there is d3

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018