Concept: Mixed doubles tournament (+pictured example)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jah_rune, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jah_rune

jah_rune Member

Hi guys :) This idea came to my mind today and I decided to share it with you. It's a regular 2v2 tournament ... almost. So, let's begin. In the first round, teams are formed normally, like in every 2v2 tournament - players choose whom they want to play with. Every 4 teams are paired (randomly), meaning you will know your possible next oponents (in case you win of course) in advance. The core of this concept is in 2nd round. In every match, doubles are mixed: one player of a qualified team teams up with a player from the opposite quailified team against the other two (meaning allies from first round become enemies in second). This mixing of teams applies in all next rounds up until the semifinals, i.e. the winners of the semifinals have the "privilege" to play together once again in the final.

*All regular 2v2 tournament rules apply in this tournament.
    *Prizes (if there are any) are individual so ex-teammates wont intentionally give up in the next round sabotaging the game.

Why this could be a good idea?
    - Because it brings diversity and unpredictability in the game. You have to choose a proper combination of characters in the first round to help you win, but that combination is destroyed in the second round and every man fights for himself, while still depending on his teammate. It's not easy to make in every round a new, still strong team with a player you play (probably) for the first time with. Still, the final could be thrilling enough because the teams have already won the semifinals together and most probably have created some tactics. :)

I attach a pictured example of a mixed doubles tournament, where Team A = players A1 and A2, Team B = players B1 and B2 and etc. :
    schedule.JPG

I apologize in advance if such or similar thing has been done before. Thank you for the time spent and I hope this concept will be brought into being some day :)

2. Gix

Gix Founder

It's been done before (except randomizing teams in every new round ) and we used challonge for higher/lower brackets. You haven't mentioned any level though, is this regular duel level or LLD ?

3. jah_rune

jah_rune Member

Yeah, I know tournaments have been done before, as I mentioned exactly the mixing of the teams is what makes it something (partly) new. And it is not a LLD, it's a regular 2 on 2 high level tournament.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.