Guide BUILD - Throw Barb

Discussion in 'Guides' started by TimmyDeezNuts, Apr 17, 2017.

1. TimmyDeezNuts

TimmyDeezNuts Rezident Ninja Forum Legend

What is this guide
    This is a basic guide to a fun, but rare build. It is a PvM barb based around throwing weapons. It's not too common nowadays, but it can be powerful and fun. This is for someone looking to try something new, a build they haven't experienced yet. This is not an end-all, best you can get guide. It is meant to provide the basics for the build that anyone can play and enjoy. I'm sure some people will read this and feel they have better ideas for gear or whatnot, that's fine. There is a lot of flexibility in this build, and when played right can be an absolute beast. Without further ado..I bring you the throw barb.

Stats
    The typical stat build, as you're dual-wielding you don't need to worry about max block.
    Strength: enough to wear gear (Arreat's is my highest at 118 str)
    Dex: enough to wear gear (112 for eth lacerator, 132 for eth warshrike)
    Vit: the rest
    Energy: don't even think about it

Skills
    Prereqs: Bash, Howl (2 pts total)
    Shout: 1 (you can add to this later if you wish)
    Battle Orders: 20 (most if not all barb builds want to max this)
    Battle Command: 1
    Double Swing: 20 (synergy for double throw)
    Double Throw: 20 (your main attack)
    Frenzy: 1 (for speed)
    Throwing Mastery: 20
    Increased Stamina/Speed/Iron Skin/Natural Resist: 1 (all 1 point wonders, but can add to later if you wish)
    Total: 89
    After that you are free to put points into whatever you wish. More shout for higher defense, if you need resist you can pump into natural resist.

Gear
    Helm: Arreats - lots of good bonuses here, can be had for free/cheap. Other options: Andy's, Vamp Gaze, any melee helm will work
    Armor: Fortitude - +dmg, among other mods. Other options: Shaftstop, Leviathan, Gladiator's Bane, anything really
    Gloves: Lavagout - I use these for 20ias and enchant. Other options: Anything but dracs. Don't use dracs. The lifetap will proc over your amg dmg and you don't want that.
    Boots: Goreriders - Cheap/free, good melee mods. Other options: Treks, war travs for dmg, again..anything will work
    Belt: Nos' coil - I use for ias, LL and slows target. Other options: String, Dungo's, again..anything you have
    Rings: Ravenfrost / Rare dual leech ring with resist - CFB, good mods on rare. Other options: BK, wisp/dwarf if you need absorb for some reason
    Amulet: Highlords Other options: Not sure any are better unless you get a nice rare/crafted one

Most of the gear is just not that important, it depends on what you have or what you can get your hands on. Just find a combo that works for you and your style. Here is the part that counts.

Weapons: Eth lacerator / Eth warshrike - Find two of each and put 1/1 on switch. Lacerator procs amp dmg which is your bread and butter. Warshrike has pierce and deadly strike. There are other options like gimmershred (High ele dmg, however PI monsters won't be a problem anyways with amp dmg) or wraith flight but they don't come close to this combo. These two replenish themselves, have good mods, and the CTC amp dmg is what makes this build shine. You can get by with other weapons but you will be much slower, and have to play more conservatively. I say to get 2 of each because even though they have 180 & 200 quantity, you will use those much quicker than you think.

Inventory: Whatever you want. I have a low anni and that's all. You can certainly use torch and other charms to boost your life/max/whatever but it's not necessary to be successful.

Merc
    Act 2 might - you will want for the dmg boost. There is a case for holy freeze but why kill slow monsters slower?
    Anything will work for his gear but here's what I use:
    Helm: Eth bugged gaze
    Armor: Eth bugged gbane
    Gloves: Eth lavagout
    Boots: Eth gores
    Belt: Eth string
    Ring: carrion wind
    Amulet: Atma's (for extra amg dmg procs)
    Weapon: Obedience - if you're rich pride would be best, but who wants to spend a Cham on an oddball build like this? Just don't use reaper's toll because the decrepify proc will constantly cancel your amp dmg.

Gameplay
    It's simple, cast your buffs, use frenzy every 5-6 seconds to keep your speed up, and double throw your way thru the world. I usually switch to my 2nd set of weapons when the quantity gets around half. This way I never have to worry about running out. I can solo anywhere in hell without issue, and don't need tele as he's such a fast runner.

Conclusion
    This is one of the most fun builds I've played, and you get some good reactions when you show up in BH and start throwing axes around. This is the first guide I've made so I'm sure I left some stuff out, but I tried to cover all the basics. If you have any questions/suggestions, let me know. Hope you have as much fun with this build as I do. You can find me ingame at *TimmyDeezNuts

Tzutzu79, Botlike, Nopik and 3 others like this.
  2. Fatty180

Fatty180 Well-Known Member

Perfect guide commended

TimmyDeezNuts likes this.
  3. inayat

inayat Head Game Master Moderator

Nice guide.
    Was already looking for a fun build.
    I will try this or frozen orb barb.

4. Karxh

Karxh Senior Member

Simple and well written guide.I have a question on how do you EBug vamp gaze and gbane? Ty

5. TimmyDeezNuts

TimmyDeezNuts Rezident Ninja Forum Legend

With any unique eth armor or helm, you simply socket it with something, then remove it using the cube recipe. I believe it incorrectly reapplies the eth bonus to the base defense. It can be done a couple times before the base defense caps out. I believe for armor it's 2037 max base defense, not sure about helms.

Karxh likes this.
  6. Fatty180

Fatty180 Well-Known Member

Try razortail throw barb :D

7. kolvanmaul

kolvanmaul Member

What does Eth stand for ? Is this build viable for starters?

8. Botlike

Botlike Well-Known Member

Eth stands for ethereal. I wouldn't recommend this build for starters, because it's not really a very fast all around farming character, more of a fun build which needs abit of an investment. Better start off with some kind of a budget sorceress build because of the teleport skill and farm until you have enough wealth to get either Infinity for even faster farming or Enigma in order to make another farmer build like hammerdin or CE necro.

Quinneczech and Gix like this.
  9. Kefflar32

Kefflar32 Well-Known Member

ty for the guide, I started a similar build recently and it is very fun

10. Alkoholszkodzi123

Alkoholszkodzi123 Supporter

First of all I will say sorry for language mistakes
    ,English is not my native..

So I was playing long time with this kind of barbarian and atm I have two of them on this lader (Softocre and Hardcore)and I will know that, you can upgrade him to really nice and fast nith/cs/pit killer :)

So:medium budget and imo perfect eq for Sc/Hc is:
    *Coa high res ber/lo or lo lo (gulliame face with mac dmg jwl only Softocre)
    *Enigma
    *Arach
    *Raven
    *highlord
    *fcr ring with ar/str/life/mana (I am using 10/120/19/39/62
    *steelrends
    *gore riders/hotspurns
    *eth lacerator
    *eth warshrike
    Torch + anni + some max ar life
    switch:
    *grief + spirit mona 33fcr

Merc a1. Cold arrow - faith with 13aura minimum if you using grief Cb or Cs. (I like style :) )
    Stat points:
    *Str - enought for eq
    *Dex - enought for max block with monarch (more dex = more throw dmg)
    (total of ~300 points at LVL 94+
    *Vita - rest
    *Energy - nothing

Skills :
    20 double swing
    1 double throw
    1 in jump
    20 berserk
    1 in sword mastery (10 with other barbarian boo)
    1 in throw mastery (10 with other barbarian boo)
    1 in iron skin
    1 in natural resist
    1 in faster running
    20 shout
    20 battle orders (if you gonna use self boo,)

Rest in howl.

With this equipment and skills you should have :
    *63fcr - really enought.
    *Max resist on Hc,(in sc with gulliame, you have to use some resist charms)
    *8% - sc / ~31 - hc DR
    *Max block
    *85 Hc/55 sc fhr
    *~2500life with self boo, and ~4000life with boo LVL 50. (Stats with clean inventory,with no max ar life charms)
    Every 200extra charms HP is something like additional 600 to your life points after Bo.
    * Cb around 60
    * Ds around 100
    * ow, amp, pirce...
    *17k ar berserk
    *~940% berserk dmg
    *8k ar double throw
    * 7k double throw dmg
    What's that mean? You will be unstoppable:)
    With spirit and grief switch you can do quick Tele to hall of pains, then if around nith is no dangerous you can kill him quick with berserk. If you feel not safe, just do Tele to the corner of nith room, switch for your throw equip and kill everything from safe distance, you should have around 7k throw dmg in stats window, but remember every of your hit is Death Slash Hit with one gives you double dmg, + 33% for amp.
    I am not sure how this will work like but:
    7k dmg x 2(ds) x 2(amp) will give you ~28k mele dmg every single throw. And you will do that with 4.1 throw per second.
    Sounds amazing:)

Once again sorry for language mistakes,but I think this build will be useful for somebody who will enjoy playing by this killer.

Thanks

Sergo1, Remind and NoCopyRight like this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted