Solved cant run d2 anymore window/fullscreen mode

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by ryz, May 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryz

ryz Active Member

hey

i have a brand new razer laptop and i've been playing d2 with it with no problems until 2-3 days ago
    i was able to play in window and fullscreen mode, no lags, no stuttering, no crashes

but suddenly i couldnt execute the game anymore...

nothing happens after game guard loads and diablo2.exe process and game guard just disappear
    i tried to delete the d2 folder and install it again but still not working

i havent installed any new programms lately too nor did i change anything...

btw i excluded d2 from windows defender and also not working
    what should i do?

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  2. Gix

Gix Founder

Hello, try a clean reinstall of the game by following all the steps listed below.

- Delete any diablo game folder you may have previously installed, multi clients and corrupted registry files are usually the root cause of game-related problems
    - Open the start menu or hit the windows key, type regedit.exe then find and delete the following folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Diablo II
    - Run DiabloII_113c_Portable and extract the game into a different folder this time, let's name it C:\Games\Diablo2Europe
    - Run EuropeBattleInstaller.exe and select your game folder or get the EuropeBattle.zip archive and replace files manually
    - Set compatibility mode to XP Service Pack 2 and check Run as Administrator for all the executable files
    - Run the game icon located on your desktop or you can manually create a shortcut of Game.exe to your desktop and run the game in window mode as shown here.

colder likes this.
  3. facuacdc

facuacdc Senior Member

Hi. I have the same problem. When I go to type my pass crashes and say: "unhandled exception: access_violation (c000005)"

I delete the old Diablo 2, re-install, run as admin.. same problem..

4. Gix

Gix Founder

Your problem is different as you get an error message while the OP couldn't even execute the game and no error message was being displayed, besides he has already fixed his problem after reinstalling.
    The well-known error Unhandled exception: access_violation (c000005) is almost always caused by incorrect DEP settings. Follow the instructions listed in our troubleshooting thread.
    http://forum.europebattle.net/threads/common-game-errors-and-fixes.532466/
    In case your DEP setting is already set for essential windows programs then select the second option to turn it on for all programs and services then select back the first option for essential windows programs and services only and make sure to restart your computer right after you apply the changes.

facuacdc likes this.
  5. facuacdc

facuacdc Senior Member

Solved with the DEP for essential Windows programs.

Lets play now :cool: