Solved Diablo II Launcher on Linux [info, fixes, non-working bits]

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by starxplor, Dec 6, 2021.

1. starxplor

starxplor Supporter

I installed both the C++ and .net 4.8 (only had 2.0 and 3.0 before tonight) linked on the announcement post. When I run "wine Diable\ II\ Launcher.exe", I get a dialog popup with the title cut off that says "Diablo II Launcher - .Net Frame...." and message saying "Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application. [OK]"

The command line spam suggested it was trying to use .net 2.0:
    Code:
    011c:err:eventlog:ReportEventW L".NET Runtime version : 2.0.50727.42 - .NET Framework Initialization ErrorTo run this application, you first must install one of the following versions of the .NET Framework:\r\n  v4.0.30319\r\nContact your application publisher for instructions about obtaining the appropriate version of t"...
    It seems the .net 4.8 does not work with this launcher. I then had to use "wine uninstaller" to remove the .net4.8 update first, then remove the .net4.8 install, then install the OFFLINE .net4.0 runtime specifically from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718 as the online installer fails to download the needed parts.

This gets the launcher to work, and the game launches and respects the -ns and -skiptobnet options.
    Using the 3dfx option, under settings, there is a window mode that is default checked. Unchecking this allows full screen game.
    The corresponding setting under ddraw when changed to full screen does not launch the game in full screen.

Integrated Stings maphack works flawlessly. See other parts of the forums for configuration info or copy in previously used settings file(s).

Widescreen patch works, with and without unchecking keep-aspect-ration in the 3dfx settings. Try both to see which you prefer (I still prefer without the widescreen patch as using the patch makes my head hurt)

As for the auto-teleport hack... wine will run the AT.AutoInjector.exe program, with sudo, but it crashes with the error:
    Code:
    System.PlatformNotSupportedException: The native library '?' does not have all required functions. Please, update the .NET Framework.GetDemultiplexedStub_f
      at System.Management.WmiNetUtilsHelper+<>c__DisplayClass87_0.<LoadPlatformNotSupportedDelegates>b__28 (System.Object _, System.Boolean __, System.Object& ___) [0x00010] in <f750dc11c3b34c68b6500a15ac04f0c5>:0
    From reading forum posts here about configuring auto-teleport, I noticed a mention of .net3.5, which I do not have installed. If someone wants auto-teleport, I would suggest making sure 3.5 is installed before they continue testing. (searching for .net3.5 offline installer would be recommended)

I hope this helps others looking to play this awesome game on Linux.

Kefflar32, Gix and sphinx25 like this.
  2. Gix

Gix Founder

Glad to see it's working on linux, thanks for the instruction. As for the autotele plugin, I think I've seen at some point an injector built for linux somewhere on github as the same method that maphack uses to load in-game will not working for autotele since it requires to be physically injected into a process and not called via a shared library.

PS: If ddraw's executable doesn't make any changes then simply edit the ddraw.ini file, their easy to setup config panel is still new although it works just fine on Windows.

3. ameth

ameth Senior Member

Draft saved Draft deleted