Different merc builds

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by IntSomnium, Jul 10, 2021.

?

Have you used a different mercenary taking advantage of the complete server equipment?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Tried, but it wasn't worth it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. IntSomnium

IntSomnium Member

Hello people!

I have searched the forum, but there is nothing concrete and what there is, does not help me much. I'm tired of the act 2 mercenary, and I would like to use some other merc, for example the one from act 5. I don't know if this is viable or if it's worth it (at least for some chars or builds). My idea is try to collect the possible builds for all kinds of mercenaries and to vary a little if you want.

The question. Does anyone use a different mercenary than the typical one? If so, which one and which build you like to wear to make it awesome and a good companion.

*Please, try not to repeat the same merc and the same build again, that holy freeze is cool, we already know it :D

2. inayat

inayat Head Game Master Moderator

kiwifruit, Blessedone and Gix like this.
  3. ameth

ameth Senior Member

There is a reason, why everyone uses act2 merc. Damn mana and mob immunes are way too much problem. If the administration allows some more plugins (not just map reveal, item filter, and autotele) that could help the mana problem. Something with automatic potion use from belt / inventory. I would not wait that happens anytime soon. The immune problem is even more painful. For example, what should a sorc do with a miniboss with fire, cold, light, and phys immune? It takes some overview of the server-side mob generation code, and neither that hits me something with real chance. Without insight / infinity RW, the gaming style is too stressful to say it is a game. I might say these are only my personal opinions, but cmon, who are playing with closed eyes not to see these?

If you only do public baal runs and leech exp, you do not need any gear or merc. Just sit and grab some stuff others left behind. There are enough serial-killers in public baal runs to do the killing instead of you. So you can use whatever merc you like. If you want to use your character for general solo gaming, you have to address problems written above. Good luck with them.

Blessedone likes this.
  4. inayat

inayat Head Game Master Moderator

This was the original intention of the game, hence the difficulty named "Hell".
    In classic you only had merc for 1 act (the act you received the merc) and no merc for act 4 and knights in act 4 also had iron maiden. Wich made it a pain for melee and a pain for casters cause of immunes.
    So you actually had to think and rethink your strategies instead of playing blind and just rush everything.
    LoD gave us mercs that stayed by your side.
    Old skool players dont really have an issue with this cause thats what they are used to and find ways around this with 1 point in certain skills to deal with whatever is immune to your class, or just let the merc deal with immunes. Also i dont recall seeing monsters or mini-bosses with 4 immunities, 2 is max and 2 other effects like spectral hit, manaburn, light/fire/cold enchanted, stoneskin etc, if im not mistaken. (unless doing ubers)
    Only people min-maximizing their skills and attributes are pvp players who want the max effect out of their chars, but they often dont play pvm unless its baalruns to lvl up.
    Everyone else has enough options in skills diversity to deal with any immunes without a merc. A merc just makes it easier to deal with.
    I also dont see the issue in pressing 1 to 4 on your keyboard to drink some mana, dont need a script for that.

sphinx25, Atox, Gix and 3 others like this.
  5. Zeratth

Zeratth Member

-Excuse me, but I can't agree with this, not under the conditions provided for the game by the server. The potential of the full merc equipment is very large and varies, if you remember, without the changes made here, we could only put helmets, armor and weapons on our mercenaries which led the players to create the so-called " Cookie Cutter " builds which are even more extended and upgraded versions of themselves here, because the server offers a full setup of gear of our mercs.

The problem isn't the mercenaries, rather over the years several meta builds have been imposed to quickly clear areas for MF / Farming purposes which are extremely dependent on their Act2 Merc with Insight / Infinity RW's and without them, they can't do much. But if you're not a player who rushes too much and has no patience, one who enjoys the game at a little bit slower pace, the current server modification offers a huge number of options to develop a different merc than the one in Act 2 depending on how " rich " you are, what is your playstyle ( Smashing things face to face or a Caster pew pewing behind everyone else ) and how much time you can spend in theorycrafting :) The amazing thing about Diablo 2 is that even after so many years there is always something new to discover, combine and the results can be amazing even nowadays :)

kiwifruit and Tzutzu79 like this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted