Dual Claws and Phoenix Charging-up

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by Hypetrain, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Hypetrain

Hypetrain Member

I've a problem with Phoenix's Assa setup played with Dual claws: when i go to attack any monster automatically the assassin strikes twice with a single attack giving to me 2 charges instead of one.
    Even if someone can think that this is overpowered, in truth is a problem because means that i will never have only one Phoenix's charge and i never won't discharge the meteor that is essential in many situation.

Is all this normal? am i wronging something?

Thx for help!

2. inayat

inayat Head Game Master Moderator

From what i could find with a little research:
    "when charging, only the primary claw will hit, although the second claw will hit if you finish with Dragon Claw."

So try not to finish with Dragon claw unless you want 2 charges

The Finishing Move
    Phoenix Strike won't do any damage on its own. You need to release the charges with something. There are five possible choices.

Normal Attack
    If you are using any setup other than dual claw, this is almost certainly the finishing move you will be using. If a claw is equipped it is the quickest of the possible choices. The drawback is that it has no AR bonus, other than what you get from Claw Mastery, if you are using a claw.

Dragon Claw
    You can only use this one with the dual claw setup. Despite what the in game skill description may say, you can only release the charges once, but it does have two hit checks and therefore two chances to release. It also comes with a big AR bonus. It is a few frames slower than finishing with Normal Attack, but when you consider the charge up time too, this doesn't really count. At its quickest, DC is a 10 frame interruptible attack - this can throw your rhythm off when charging up.

Dragon Talon
    Works with any of the weapon setups, but the speed is the issue here. Your equipment will focus on +MA skills, so even with a single point investment, as can easily end up with 18 points in DT for a four kick sequence. At the fastest speed this is 7+3+3+3 = 16 frames The advantage over Normal Attack is the AR bonus.

Dragon Tail
    The next delay on the second and third charges of PS makes this worthless. You can use it as a separate attack for a hybrid though.
    The knockback on Dragon Tail affects the whole of the blast area. If you decide to skip Mind Blast, this can be very useful defensively.

Dragon Flight
    As a 25 frame, highly interruptible attack, this is not really practical to use all the time, but it is great for occasional situational use. Most importantly it is a lot of fun, so all PvM assassins should get a point here.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    colder, Nopik and Atox like this.
  3. Hypetrain

Hypetrain Member

i've said the contrary. i don't need to discharge when i have 2 charges, i need to discharge when i have only 1 charge so that i can make the Meteor instead of the Chain lightning.

Maybe is a setting of the server, i don't know BUT when you attack(pressing only ONCE the attack button on an enemy) whielding TWO CLAWS+Elemental Martial Ability automatically the assassin will strike with BOTH weapons, first one and immediatly after the other one, i can't avoid this and this attack will give to me 2 charge of the ability. This Is The Problem.......
    This thing doesn't happen with all martial abilities, i just tried(5 minutes ago with a new Char) that with Tiger Strike+Dual Claws the assassin hits with only one Claws for each attack, the same thing doesn't work for Fists of Fire, Claws of Thunder and Phoenix strike(dunno about Blades of Ice, i havn't tried it).
    When you play with Fists of Fire and Claws of Thunder it doesn't matter how many charges do you take with one attack because charge's effects are cumulable (example: 3 charges of Claws of Thunder will cause Lightning on the targhet + Nova + Charged Bolt), when you play with Phoenix Strike it's a problem because Charges aren't cumulable(Example: 1 Charge of Phoenix will cause Meteor , 2 Charges will cause ONLY Chain Lightning without Meteor and 3 charges will cause ONLY Chaos Ice Bolt effect without ChainLightning and without Meteor.).
    So, using Phoenix Strike+Dual Claws i will always doublestrike any enemy, this means that i CANT never discharge the meteor on my enemy which is the strongest single target ability of Phoenix strike.

I hope i have explained myself better....

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  4. Waffle

Waffle Supporter

@Hypetrain:

Sorry for the late response to this thread, but I was curious about this issue so I decided to do some testing myself as I had recently respec'd my Assassin for some melee fun and because I'm crazy when it comes to researching these kinds of things about D2.

Test: Wielding dual claws, with the primary being Greater Talons (30 increased attack speed (IAS), with added +40 IAS on the claw), and Bartucs' + Level 14 Burst of Speed + 60 off-weapon IAS = Way more than needed to attain the fastest attack speed breakpoint of 7frames per attack while using Phoenix Strike.

Results: After extensive testing, single-clicking only once on a monster does grant me one (1) charge of Phoenix Strike, so I am able to use the Meteor ability with a Finishing Move. However, IF I hold down the left-click for too long (not letting go of the mouse button for about 1-2 seconds), then the Assassin attacks with both claws and skips the first phase, giving me 2 charges.

Are you single-clicking and letting go of the mouse button when you attack with Phoenix Strike? Or are you holding onto the left click a bit too long? Also, what claws are you using and how much attack speed do you have?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Kefflar32 likes this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted