Solved GameGuard connecting... problem (help plz)

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by autocast90, Jun 23, 2018.

1. autocast90

autocast90 Member

Hi Guys,
    i experience a problem that many people does..
    i have read many thread but have no solution =(
    but i can still play 5-7 day and its no problem, before i met this problem..
    suddently gameguard is freezing with 'connecting... '

Windows 7 64bit
    Turn Off Windows Defender - Done
    Exception To Windows Defender - Done
    Turn Off Avira Antivirus (Expired Now) - Done
    Exception game folder to Avira Antivirus (Expired Now) - Done
    Run As Administrator - Done
    Registry Cleaning with CCleaner - Done
    Delete Diablo2 Folder and Copy a Fresh one - Done
    Set Compabilty Run To XP Service Pack 3 - Done
    Give Full Control To .exe & gameguard (but when i give full control -> End proccess > Run Again > It Will back with No Full Control again - Done
    Disable all StartUp Program on 'msconfig' - Done

i have read and try all the way for 3 days guys @_@ :cry:
    plz help.. thanks b4

2. RandAlThor

RandAlThor Senior Member

Firstly; I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with GameGuard, definitely frustrating.
    Secondly; Thank you for providing a detailed list of steps you've already attempted, it helps a lot.

My first recommendation would be to uninstall Avira. Even disabled, Avira is still "hooked" into the OS, and may very well still be blocking GG. Also, it may have just been my own experiences with it, but I ran into issues like this many times using Avira in the past.

My second recommendation would be to manually set your Diablo 2 gateway to make sure there are no issues there. You can do so by running this program: Gateway Editor
    The following information should be listed as the default gateway:
    Name: W/e You Want
    Zone: 0
    IP: d2.usabattle.net or d2.europebattle.net

Please let us know if the issues still persist or if you have any other questions, Cheers.

autocast90, Kefflar32 and Gix like this.
  3. Gix

Gix Founder

@autocast90, if you were able to play the game just fine a few days ago and you can't anymore did it happen the same time your avira trial expired? There are only several threads where people report a similar problem to yours while thousands others have no issues so it's not really a common problem, besides all the threads are marked as solved as a solution has been found but it's a help desk therefore in this category you will see many players asking for help due to various problems that may prevent them from playing. The message you get is a standard message that tells you the gameguard is trying to connect to the server, and it stays that way because something is blocking that connection. I'd start with following @RandAlThor advice and completly uninstall avira then restart your computer, additionally perform a complete uninstall of the game (make sure registry files are removed too during the process) and get the portable client again. I also noticed you're using a mobile connection therefore if uninstalling avira and reinstalling the game has no results try and switch to a cable connection just to make sure your mobile provider haven't set any kind of limits due to internet traffic usage. Let me know.

PS: Avira is a terrible antivirus really so you're not the only one to experience issues with it @RandAlThor.
    As a free antivirus I'd recommend either Avast or AVG as a second option, paid one I'm fine with Bitdefender 2018 but you should also be able to get legit unlimited 90 days trials as I've seen it on youtube.

autocast90 and Kefflar32 like this.
  4. autocast90

autocast90 Member

5. RandAlThor

RandAlThor Senior Member

It would still be a good idea to uninstall it (especially if it's expired anyhow) to further isolate the issue. It's not a server/client issue, so we're just trying to locate your specific configuration problem. Antivirus solutions are almost always the best place to start.

As for the registry, you can make sure it's clear of any Diablo 2 Info (If you're attempting a clean reinstall of D2 for example) by typing "regedit" in the Windows Bar and opening the Registry Editor. Then Proceed to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Blizzard Entertainment >Diablo II --Simply delete the entire folder to prepare for a clean re-install

6. autocast90

autocast90 Member

i just download fresh Diablo2 on europebattle.net site, and i clean registry, uninstall kaspersky AV.
    and when i open diablo2.exe (without EuropeBattleInstaller) i can get inside, and error suddently..
    then when i Copy a EuropeBattleInstaller also GameGuard Connecting still.. No Luck =(

7. Gix

Gix Founder

@autocast90, read the last part of my previous post: "I also noticed you're using a mobile connection therefore if uninstalling avira and reinstalling the game has no results try and switch to a cable connection just to make sure your mobile provider haven't set any kind of limits due to internet traffic usage. Let me know." Upon launching the game it first performs a web connection and then a tpc connection. Also think of the changes you've made before it stopped working, that could give us some sort of clue.

autocast90 likes this.
  8. fyitab

fyitab Active Member

They are the same now since avast bought avg

if you cleaned registry before removing D2 it won't remove anything. I'd even suggest rebooting after removing d2 and cleaning your registry. Are you running a 3rd party firewall or just windows maybe it's blocking gameguard from getting thru.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  9. RandAlThor

RandAlThor Senior Member

You will need to run the game via "Loader.exe" and not "Diablo II.exe". Also, we know it is an issue with the configuration of your PC that is causing the connection issue; not the installer or Diablo 2 client.
    It's possible there was an issue with the install process; but the files themselves are known good files.

Honestly, there shouldn't be too much that would interfere with your connection.
    So I would strongly recommend starting at Step 1, and making sure the install process was followed exactly (as annoying as that might be).

My personal thoughts are there are only 4 major things that would be causing this:
    - Failed Installation Process
    - Software Blocking Connection (Windows Defender or similar)
    - GameGuard File Read Errors (TDAgg3.dll or TDAgg.cfg marked as read-only or similar)
    - UAC or User Permissions (Insufficient Account Privileges to perform requested connection)

For Resolving Failed Installation Process:
    - Follow the guide STEP-BY-STEP from this link: Install Guide (Updated)

For Resolving Software Blocking Connection:
    - With AV uninstalled already, make sure the entire Diablo 2 folder has an Exclusion set for it
    Open Windows Defender, and Select "Virus & Threat Protection" from the Left Menu.
    Click the Highlighted Text Shown: "Virus & Threat Protection Settings"
    Scroll down until you see the Highlighted Text Shown: "Add or remove exclusions", Click it.
    Add Your D2 Install Folder as an Exclusion as shown in the image below:
    [​IMG]

Without an Antivirus running, this is about the only source of software conflict that should be affecting you.

For Resolving GameGuard File Read Errors:
    - Open your D2 Install Folder and find TDAgg3.dll and TDAgg.cfg, Right-click them and select Properties. Make sure "Read-Only" is not checked.
    - On the Security Tab: Select Your Username from the Upper Box, and click the checkbox to the right of "Full Control", under the Allow column in the Lower Box.

For Resolving UAC or User Permissions:
    - Temporarily disable UAC by typing "UAC" in the Windows Box, and Selecting the 1st option: Change User Account Control Settings. Set slider to bottom, and click OK.
    - You may also decide to attempt the connection on a separate Windows Users Account to see if the issue is system-wide.

Lastly, I'm sure there are a few people who would be willing to offer Remote Desktop Support using Teamviewer or such if you needed the extra help. You may PM me or reach out for further assistance if you need it.

EDIT: @autocast90 Just wanted to clarify that it seems as if you have done much of this already, and the step-by-step breakdowns are more for anyone else stumbling across the thread - rather than for you in particular. No offense was meant.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  10. autocast90

autocast90 Member

hmm did u mean i using mobile connection because of my ping so high ? im from Indonesia guys =( so i didn't get a good ping here..
    it's strange but i think i use VPN just for browsing and then when i going run diablo2.exe i close that VPN software
    @fyitab i tried turn off my Firewall, but still can't

11. Gix

Gix Founder

Best Answer
    Whois websites recognize your ip address as being a mobile (3G/4G) connection so assumed you're using one. Also, it does not matter where are you from as people all over the world are playing here. Do you have by chance a secondary pc in your house or a separate mobile/cable connection such as a phone that you can use as a hotspot so you can test? I remember someone had a similar problem and turns out his cable provider had some isolated issues or something like that as he had no issues while using the mobile connection but few days later everything was back to normal with the cable provider too. Try running the game and while you get the connecting message, wait for about a minute and then upload the GameGuard.log file located inside of your game folder to a website like http://mega.nz and send it to me in a private message. Make sure the game client is running while you're doing that so we can take a look at the files download state. PS: Before doing that, head over to where you installed the game and delete TDAgg folder completly then run the game.

autocast90 likes this.
  12. autocast90

autocast90 Member

@RandAlThor i have tried :
    Run Diablo With Loader.exe - Done
    Follow the guide STEP-BY-STEP from this link: Install Guide (Updated) - Done
    Add Exclusions Diablo2 Folder to Windows Defender - Done
    Turn Off Windows Defender - Done
    Open your D2 Install Folder and find TDAgg3.dll and TDAgg.cfg, Right-click them and select Properties. Make sure "Read-Only" is not checked. - Done , But i can't Find TDAgg.cfg.. there only TDAgg3.dll & TDAgg.ini
    - Disable UAC , and put to lowest bottom
    thanks for trying to help me =)

@Gix i'm using fiberoptic connection. which Modem i connect it using router (xiaomi wifi extender), from router that connected via WiFi to my Laptop (but with this condition i can play few days ago)

here's my connection test maybe will help http://www.speedtest.net/result/7417802174
    and i've tried :
    - Delete TDAgg Folder, and run loader.exe but it automatically created new one.. and still 'Connecting..'

I Just Tried using My Mobile Hotspot and it works.. but my mobile connection so bad, i can't play.. even my modem via router just like few days ago got 200-500 ping,
    with my mobile hotspot i got 700-1000 ping..
    but i've tried initiate loader.exe with mobile hotspot. while in game i switch wifi connection to my modem via router..
    how can this happen =(
    but thanks guys for helping me :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  13. Gix

Gix Founder

Seems I was right about testing it on a different connection. Here is a simple temporary solution for your problem: start the game while on your mobile connection and once you're in switch back to modem connection and play it as you would normally do. The speed test is not really important when it comes to online games as all providers nowdays can reach decent MB/s nowdays, although your speeds are fairly low and that's on a really close server to your location which I can't tell if it's normal or not for the provider you use. I assume there is some conflict with the HTTP protocol at the provider level which is causing this, I'll see if the logs are able to tell us anything at all but the temporary solution I gave you should work just fine and you only have to do it upon launching the game for the first time.

autocast90 likes this.
  14. autocast90

autocast90 Member

@Gix Thanks for helping me, so the solution is switching connection right ?
    it's bit strange, because i can play normally few days ago.. and i didn't do anything stupid.. can't believe this is happen, but
    This is Magic..
    I'm Happy it can get back normally, only need a bit to do before play normally..
    @RandAlThor Thanks for Helping me and gives a solution..

is possible to meet both of u guys on the game ? :):tup:
    mine is = fufu_wong

• Draft saved Draft deleted