Solved I cannot load Diablo 2 full screen

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by aethyllnor, Nov 8, 2019.

1. aethyllnor

aethyllnor Supporter

Please aid me by solving or stating how to solve this situation:

1.) I was using windows 10 but it used too much of the RAM and Hard Drive memory amount and cortana i didn't want on my computer and also other unwanted computer usageing such as the weather internet usage etc...wasn't exactly how i uniquely customize my at my home computer. So nowfore I am using Windows 7 Home Edition - Also including the Service Packet of the 1st one.

2.) After changing to windows 7 I deleted diablo 2 and then reinstalled it from Gix's website from the install link and also the installer and did the compatibility checkmarking of the xp windows setting and the one pertaining to desktop composition.

3.)when I single click right clickingly the game program and then left click run as administrator the orange shield cartoon appears and then the screen becomes black but then the computer makes an error noise and a window appears stating: error 22: A critical error has occured while initializing directdraw.

Please text me! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2019
  2. Gix

Gix Founder

Can you load the game in window mode then? Sounds like you cannot load the game at all, to begin with.
    Try the following solutions:
    - Reinstall your graphics card drivers and make sure they are up to date
    - Update your directx drivers
    - Open your diablo2 game folder and run D2VidTst.exe as administrator

PS: There isn't a big difference in terms of resources between Windows 7 and Windows 10 though, besides you can always get rid of unnecessary features like cortana for example.

3. Darklingsoul

Darklingsoul Well-Known Member

I'm only adding this as a more in depth fix, because sometimes a visual makes the process more simple.

Update your DirectX drivers. (always) if necessary the currently installed integrated graphics PROC. the motherboard uses.
    Delete Diablo II | Clean install | Server Patch | Download OpenGL from links provided on the server | Run glide-init.exe

In "Settings" tab (check the following are marked)
    Window Mode [x]
    captured mouse [x]
    window extras [x]
    Desktop 11-8-2019 3-23-14 PM-525.png
    Click "Test" to open up a window looking like (ALT+ENTER to enter Fullscreen):
    Desktop 11-8-2019 2-53-39 PM-712.png
    After this, be sure to run D2vidtest.exe and be sure to check the OpenGL option to use glide. (I do not use glide, so I a missing "X" files by choice)

If you wish to play 4:3 (pan & scan) fullscreen with black borders do the following.
    Create shortcut | Set compatibility if necessary | Run D2VidTest | Skip | Set Direct2D or Direct3D (user PREF)
    Desktop 11-8-2019 3-26-31 PM-392.png

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted