Solved I want fullscreen

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by Bulbuci, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Bulbuci

Bulbuci Member

Hello!
    Is there any way to play in fullscreen mode? It's bad enough that it's an old game with max resolution 800x600, playing in windowed mode on top of that is just terrible.
    Note that I'm running windows 7 and had to add -w to the launcher to fix the access violation exception error (and set .exe to compatibility win xp sp2).
    Any help?

Edit:
    ********* SOLVED ***********

Wrapper above fixes it. Download and install it following the instructions and you should be good.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  2. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Active Member

Unfortunately, there is no way to play in full screen. Although the game is 16 years old :) It was never designed for such high resolutions as we use now on our modern PC's or Laptops :)

Maybe with some mods or pluggy but this option is only for single player :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  3. Gix

Gix Founder

The errors you get in full screen are caused usually by the MH which is pretty common in d2. You can try using the integrated mh, run the game as admin without the "-w" and see if you have any lucky. MH errors are a lottery when it comes to full screen.

4. Bulbuci

Bulbuci Member

Sadly it isn't MH related. I've been getting them before I had any MH on (using sting mh).
    I've tried restarting my laptop and reinstalling the game altogether, testing at every checkpoint: vanilla d2, then with LoD, then with realm installer. Every time it wouldn't start (unhandled error: access violation exception) unless I started in windowed mode. Then it would work fine.
    Note that I've tried all that with and without compatibility mode (xp sp2, xp sp3, win7), with and without administrator rights. Basically, I've tried every combination I could think of, just to be sure and thorough (and maybe a little paranoid lawl). The only fix is running in windowed mode. And it's as ugly as it is annoying, I keep clicking outside the window, resulting in random deaths. Certainly no HC for me...
    And It's a shame really, I remember playing the same game on the same windows 7 version on my desktop, which wasn't that old really, and everything worked just fine. Sure it was running in 800x600 on a 1650x1050 monitor, but at least it was fullscreen, so I couldn't complain about such an old game.
    That being said, it all points to either a GPU problem or a screen resolution problem.

5. 681

681 Member

Only with different MH mayby can you login in fullscreen .. Sting maphack you need -w mode..

6. Bulbuci

Bulbuci Member

I just said that no MH was on when I tried all of the above, so it's not sting mh that forces game violation exception error.

7. Gix

Gix Founder

Indeed it might be related to GPU/screen resolution in this case but as I said, it's a lottery and a mistery at the same time.

8. dalmadorm

dalmadorm Member

You have two options:
    - Using "-w -nofixaspect" (game will open windowed, but you can maximise it and Diablo 2 will stretch to your desktop resolution),
    - Using 3dfx to OpenGL wrapper (link to download provided here: http://www.svenswrapper.de/english/downloads.html ), game will start in full screen.

String's Maphack works well in wrapper fullscreen mode, checked it by myself. Normal fullscreen is not working, because newer Windows versions don't have proper support to DirectDraw (old 2d render library).

If you have any questions about wrapper, ask them here, I will help you. ;)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    Bulbuci and Gix like this.
  9. Bulbuci

Bulbuci Member

The wrapper fixed it. I still get occasional crashes, but considering the circumstances, I won't complain.
    Thank you dalmadorm!
    I'll edit the OP to include your fix. I believe this should get sticky, there are loads of people out there having this problem (and a good amount quitting because of it) and this might be really helpful for solving the problem quickly and easily.

10. dalmadorm

dalmadorm Member

Glad that I could help. ;)

To decrease crash rate in fullscreen, open "glide-init.exe" and use settings from my screenshots:
    - in "settings" tab:
    [​IMG]

(you can turn off "keep aspect ratio" and turn on "desktopresolution" to make game window fit perfectly to your resolution, but it sometimes makes game unstable and increases crash chance)
    - in "render" tab:
    [​IMG]

And, of course, don't use Alt+Tab. It often kills this game. If you are using Alt+Tab often, you should play in window mode.

golp and Gix like this.
  11. Gix

Gix Founder

Gratz and kudos @dalmadorm for the advices.

@Bulbuci , if you want it to be sticked then feel free to create a guide (although glide wrapper already has one here on the forums) but keep in mind that just because it worked for you it doesn't mean it may 100% work for others. The thread can be found by using search button though. Also your statement is exagerated as there aren't loads of people having this problem since most d2 players are running the game in window mode (exactly because this game is lottery of errors when using full screen besides the low graphic) and I haven't seen people quitting this game because they couldn't run it in full screen either, it's a 15 years old game after all.

golp likes this.
  12. golp

golp Supporter

Just for info: I was playing both fullscreen and windowed (now windowed) and I've recently tried running fullscreen - it's working like a charm =)
    For a long time I'm using Glide Wrapper. The only thing that you should configure all glide parameters to get good fps on your video card.

Gix likes this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted