Solved Install in Xubuntu Linux

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by fgm28, Mar 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fgm28

fgm28 Member

I need a download package with files in a single document to install the game on linux. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

2. Gix

Gix Founder

Hello @fgm28. You can run the game on Linux via Wine.
    Install the game as normal and run the registry file that comes with the realm patch or manually set the registry to our realm address <if it's needed> by following the instructions listed on this page.
    Start the game through wine and you should be good to go. If you never used wine before you can watch some video guides on youtube such as this or this one for example.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    colder likes this.
  3. starxplor

starxplor Supporter

I only use D2 in Linux, the last time I installed it, I used wine to run the registry modifier and didn't have to manually set the realm.

colder and Gix like this.
  4. Valchinov

Valchinov Supporter

Guys, I have an related question to this topic, how does Wine handles multiple instances of D2? Because most of the times I am running 8-10 different loaders and I'd like to know if Wine is actually able to sustain enough reliability under that load?

Sorry for the offtopic :)

5. colder

colder One of the Legends Game Master

If you are opening D2 windows from Loader.exe by Wine you can get too many loaders, If you want to reduce your CPU using by these loaders you can always use Cpu Bug Fix from europebattle.net/d2/tools
    just download and unpack it to D2 Folder and your loaders will get lower CPU using on many instances.
    Cheers

6. starxplor

starxplor Supporter

The most I have ever had running was 3 at the same time. I don't have the cpu bug fix, but I do have integrated Stings maphack.
    Most of the time, I play single instance in full screen (hence why my screenshots have extra black space).

7. Valchinov

Valchinov Supporter

Thanks, but I was wondering if someone have tried to utilise the capacity of Wine during load such as 8-10 D2 instances in window mode at a time, such as if it's reliable to migrate to Linux, which is my goal. Windows tends to become more and more unreachable with every update that's released.

8. starxplor

starxplor Supporter

You can try installing linux as dual boot along side windows to test it. Most distro installers recognize a windows partition and allow you to resize as needed to make a bootable linux partition. Give it a try and see if it can run what you need, if it doesnt work, you can wipe the linux install and go back to windows.

Gix likes this.
  9. sphinx25

sphinx25 Well-Known Member

Another alternative to that is to install Linux as a VM (virtual machine) inside the Windows OS. Personally, I've tried the one from Oracle a while ago and it works OK (installing a Linux distro, not Wine + D2).

10. starxplor

starxplor Supporter

The main problem with running Linux in a VM is that the system cannot handle as much load compared to installing it on bare metal. If the OP is worried about their computer being able to handle so many instances, they probably want as many resources available for D2 and not lose some inherent in running a VM.

11. sphinx25

sphinx25 Well-Known Member

For modern computers, with loads of hardware resources, this is barely a problem. On top of that, D2 is a program made ~20 years ago, when programmers used to actually optimize code for limited resources, and it has a small memory & CPU fingerprint.
    Running D2 (even 8-10 instances) inside a Linux VM, within a Win OS would hardly be a problem for a modern computer, even though your point about less resources available to a VM is absolutely correct.
    Installing a Linux VM is a solution for the less tech savvy, but people with enough knowledge can always go for dual boot or Linux only.

12. Valchinov

Valchinov Supporter

Thanks guys for the input, I will certainly try :)

colder likes this.
  13. kidoTocino

kidoTocino Member

Hi !
    The best option to play diablo2 if u are running any Linux Distribution is to install some virtualization software, such as Virtualbox. Personally, I have a virtual Windows XP machine and have installed Diablo 2 there. It runs flawessly. No problems at all, and the machine has assigned only 1gb of ram.

https://imgur.com/a/j69DXK4

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.