Jewel bag

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by sphinx25, Feb 18, 2020.

1. sphinx25

sphinx25 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The idea of having a jewel bag has been suggested before, but the main problem was that jewels would be losing initial affixes, when cubed / transmuted into a jewel bag.
    I came with a solution in a different post, and here it goes: after cubing into a jewel bag, each jewel would get a fixed suffix / prefix and a fixed ilvl. Players are still free to trade jewels in the trade window or by dropping them, but if they use jewel bags, all jewels from the bag will have the same suffix / prefix.

There are 3 reasons for this:
    1. jewels are only used for crafting (very few people reroll jewels), so jewels from a bag would perfectly do the job - junk jewels
    2. space from inventory / cube / stash would be freed for other items
    3. a mule for jewels (as I, for one, have) would no longer be needed
    Of course, cubing and removing them would be somewhat inconvenient, but it would be up to the player to make or not make use of the jewel bags.
    Also, a sort of warning should be displayed when a player logs in, saying "READ THE INSTRUCTIONS" or something similar. I've seen countless examples, in main chat and inside games, of people asking one thing or another, simply because they did not read the instructions. I mentioned this because accidental cubing of a valuable jewel would be, yet again, the player's problem, because (you guessed) s/he did not read the instructions.

ameth likes this.
  2. Light86

Light86 Well-Known Member

Allthough I would appreciate it as a Crafter and trader, I doubt that this is even possible.
    I can also imagine if you add an ingame feature for "overwriting" affixes and itemlevels it could lead to some kind of exploits and just motivate ppl to try out hacking items.

And stashing packs of 40 jewels onto a mule is not that kind of a big deal imo. Lets see how things will work out with increased jewel drop rates and how it effects economy. Not many ppl were trading jewels compared to perfect gems last ladder.

Kefflar32 likes this.
  3. ameth

ameth Senior Member

If you supply crafters, it is more like 400 than 40, and yes, it is a big deal to transfer that amount of jewels. Transfer them from stash to inventory then dropping them on floor takes time forever.
    You kind of missed the direction of how things go forward. Gems are in demand because of the gem bag exists. Remove the gem bag and you will see what will happen to the gem trading.
    The bag-out cube recipe may just give a random lvl 1 magic jewel. Anything in that level range is useless enough to be sure, there are no exploit opportunities. The only useful lvl 1 jewel affix is -15% req, and we already have Hel rune to do the same.

+1 on the jewel bag idea.

4. Gix

Gix Founder

You couldn't be more wrong and if you haven't played before gem bags were a thing you shouldn't make such a statement. Gems trading has always been a thing in here since the very beginning, people were trading gems just as much before the bags existed with the exception that they had multiple mule characters they had to drop the gems from and of course it was taking longer but there were still loads being traded on a daily basis. Thankfully, due to the mindset of the community trading was also safe although with a gem bag it's much safer and you can trade thousands within the trade window.

You missed his point on this one.

Either way, it has been discussed before why jewel bag is not a feasible idea and that's because of the way it works. Sure, you could set it so it outputs a useless jewel from the bag but what are you going to do with someone who adds some 15 IAS/40 ED jewel or any important jewel into the bag thinking he could store his jewel in there? No matter how many warnings signs we would be adding, there will still be people who will do such mistakes and there will be no way back from that.

PS: Might want to watch at the post date too as you're quoting almost a two years old post.

5. ameth

ameth Senior Member

Ofc, I did not do that statement without previous experience. I know what "gem account" is, I sold many of them on official D2 realm. My point is, that stash size is limited. Does not matter its 24 square or 100, it is limited. Most of players won't pay attention if they have to sacrifice stash space for collecting gems. If you remove the gem bag, gem supply falls. In result, some player just going to give up interest on gc rolling cuz gem prices rise so high on this little realm that the grape becomes sour. One ladder reset later, gem prices aren't rise anymore, and supply also falls since it is not worth of time to collect them. And that is how economy dies. I played gem acc trading on official for a long time (for like 5 years), and now I am playing here with gem bag, and I can clearly sense the difference. On such a little realm with so few players this hype about gems, this would be impossible without the gem bag. But ofc, you wont get solid proof of my statement until you remove the gem bag for 2 consecutive ladders.

I might need some confidental statistics on this realm server group to get your point. Yet, I doubt, that I am fully wrong. My point is, that game style of players are different. So what you suggest, is unlikely. Who collects jewels just to sell them in jewel bag, they will pay much enough attention on every details of each one jewel. What are affixes, what is its color, what could be its worth, and what could be its worth as junk jewel. If you want to get into their skin, just do the due process 50 times a day and you will see how much time goes on that. If you are not used to the pressure, you will pay with head ache. Those players will never bag a 15/40 jewel. They will store jewels on a different mule without bag on the character, so there is no accident possible. The only thing possible that someone plays drunk, new jewel drops, they just bag it, and whatever it was, it becomes a junk jewel. Let me point out, drunk players do not remember things later, and information does not exist in isolation. So even if they bag a 15/40, that information is lost to the history, and there is no cry for lost jewels later. There are also players who are not the collector type. They are players who sell junk jewels in a Baal run to Malah (and I am the one who buys them back from Malah) or just drop jewels on floor in Baal Throne room (and I am the one who grabs them just to stack them up on a stash-mule). Those players only pay attention if they can do that with low effort. Even if they bag a 15/40, they won't be sure about what they did. They half-ass everything anyway, and they are not the loudly-crying type. If they cry, you squelch them, and they won't fight back. Even if accident happens, that won't result in a high drama here on forum. The only thing I cannot estimate, if some $ donor players like to play drama here on forum and on the public chat, and more than 5% income comes from them. Yes, I know that type too. If that is what you fear, you are probably right to refuse the jewel bag idea. If their rate is not so high, the overall gaming experience of the community might worth to deal with those few (be a man, and kick them forever). Higher community gaming experience will result in more donor income than you lose. You cannot build a road without moving away some stones from its way.

Yes, I did. What happened, that I started to create a suggestion topic with the same name, and forum search dropped out, this topic already exists. It lost to next pages already. Still, I found it. Big kudos to the topic search feature :D The idea is still the same, still worth to talk about it even after these years. The only exception is detailed above about donor bashing issues - yes that is a well known problem to every community on internet.

6. Gix

Gix Founder

Again, your assumptions are incorrect as people have been trading huge amounts of gems every single day way before the bags but considering you haven't been playing here for long nor consistently for the past year or so you can't tell that but this is basically your proof. It's not like gems trading became popular only when the bags were introduced, they have always been popular, but the bags made the trading part more convenient and secure. Of course, it brought some more popularity too due to its convenience, but it's not like they weren't highly popular before too.
    Mentioning vanilla gems trading experience is pretty much irrelevant considering how different and how less popular that kind of practice is compared to what we have and barely anyone would've considered that worthwhile and I can't blame them. Of course, you can see the difference in here, you would've seen it even before the gem bags too and that's mainly because of the simplified recipe that allows you to turn a simple gem into a perfect one rather than having to collect 3 of each type for every single upgrade as well as their higher drop compared to jewels. Anyhow, this thread is about jewels and not gems so let's stick to that as while the concept may be the same the two items are completely different.

The 15/40 jewel was obviously just an example which is why I said or any important jewel right after and playing drunk is not the only possible scenario, people messed up and sold their torches to the vendor before and they weren't drunk; here we would try to help such people not reducing them to silence if they message us or start "crying" about it. I would imagine someone having such a rare jewel wouldn't bag it but there will be people who could screw this up with a useful jewel unfortunately simply because mistakes can happen when you bag hundreds and hundreds of jewels so it's easy to miss a good one while cubing it with the rest and squelching people in need of help is not the solution. This isn't battlenet where you're getting ignored all the way through.
    As for the donor example, I'm not even sure why you'd have to bring up such a thing but it wouldn't be the first time you're derailing in your posts, however, that does not apply in here and never will. A donor does not have any special privilege, no matter how much he would contribute with, compared to another player who never did it, be a man and read the community rules again to refresh your memory. Drama is also something none of us is a fan of, next to toxicity and you should have noticed by now how much different this community is from a diablo one in general which is known to be extremely toxic.

It would've been marked as a duplicate and pointed to this thread that was right on the 2nd page. Wouldn't be the first time you do it, but at least you've now noticed the search feature comes in handy in such scenarios. I'm also only saying that when you're quoting someone's post and it's as old as that one, you'd expect a reply in return which that member wouldn't be able to provide.

TL;DR Mistakes when bagging hundreds of jewels are the biggest concern, how to make it foolproof? No more derailing from the thread subject, please.

7. ameth

ameth Senior Member

There is no way to make it foolproof. There is a side-way instead. No player is forced to buy a jewel bag ever. It is optional. If they do, they accept, do mistakes suxx and they get no assistance in that case.

• Draft saved Draft deleted