Solved Mouse glitching around when using ddraw/glide

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by Henry2, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Henry2

Henry2 Senior Member

Hello,
    I'm experiencing annoying mouse glitch when opening in in-game windows (such as quests). I'm using the default ddraw settings (windowed) from d2 launcher (also happens in 3dfx and d2vidtest), -w setting works fine but of course then I have have to settle for limited visual experience.
    Here is an example: before and after hitting Q
    before.png
    after.png
    I tried some of the settings in launcher but nothing helped.
    Is there someting that I am missing?

2. Gix

Gix Founder

Hello there, list your ddraw and glide settings in here via screenshots. The mouse cursor jump is common with glide on some systems, although I don't remember ever seeing it while using ddraw.
    Does it still happen if you're in full screen mode?

Henry2 likes this.
  3. Henry2

Henry2 Senior Member

Best Answer
    I can't seem to be able to start fullscreen by using Game.exe in the game folder nor by fullscreen setting in ddraw.
    It works however with 3dfx -windowed unchecked. Then all of the options - Game.exe, ddraw, d2Vidtst - run fullscreen. In case of ddraw it doesnt matter if I set windowed while 3dfx has windowed unchecked. Anyways, in fullscreen the mouse is working fine.
    I have the autodownloaded ddraw.ini (deleted the one I changed just to be sure)
    ; cnc-ddraw - https://github.com/CnCNet/cnc-ddraw - https://cncnet.org

; ### NOTE TO DIABLO 2 LEGACY PLAYERS ###

; To enable upscaling via shaders in -fullscreen mode- just set 'fullscreen=true' and 'windowed=false'
    ; To enable upscaling via shaders in -windowed mode- just set 'fullscreen=false' and 'windowed=true' then start the game and resize your window or set 'width=' and 'height=' to the desired window size

[ddraw]
    ; ### Optional settings ###
    ; Use the following settings to adjust the look and feel to your liking

; Stretch to custom resolution, 0 = defaults to the size game requests
    width=0
    height=0

; Override the width/height settings shown above and always stretch to fullscreen
    ; Note: Can be combined with 'windowed=true' to get windowed-fullscreen aka borderless mode
    fullscreen=false

; Run in windowed mode rather than going fullscreen
    windowed=true

; Maintain aspect ratio - (Requires 'handlemouse=true')
    maintas=false

; Windowboxing / Integer Scaling - (Requires 'handlemouse=true')
    boxing=false

; Real rendering rate, -1 = screen rate, 0 = unlimited, n = cap
    ; Note: Does not have an impact on the game speed, to limit your game speed use 'maxgameticks='
    maxfps=125

; Vertical synchronization, enable if you get tearing - (Requires 'renderer=auto/opengl/direct3d9')
    ; Note: vsync=true can fix tearing but it will cause input lag
    vsync=false

; Automatic mouse sensitivity scaling - (Requires 'handlemouse=true')
    ; Note: Only works if stretching is enabled. Sensitivity will be adjusted according to the size of the window
    adjmouse=false

; Preliminary libretro shader support - (Requires 'renderer=opengl') https://github.com/libretro/glsl-shaders
    ; 2x scaling example: https://imgur.com/a/kxsM1oY - 4x scaling example: https://imgur.com/a/wjrhpFV
    shader=Shaders\xbr\xbr-lv2-noblend.glsl

; Window position, -32000 = center to screen
    posX=-32000
    posY=-32000

; Renderer, possible values: auto, opengl, gdi, direct3d9 (auto = try direct3d9/opengl, fallback = gdi)
    renderer=opengl

; Developer mode (don't lock the cursor)
    devmode=true

; Show window borders in windowed mode
    border=true

; Save window position/size/state on game exit and restore it automatically on next game start
    ; Possible values: 0 = disabled, 1 = save to global 'ddraw' section, 2 = save to game specific section
    savesettings=1

; Should the window be resizeable by the user in windowed mode?
    resizeable=true

; Enable C&C video resize hack - Stretches C&C cutscenes to fullscreen
    vhack=false

; Enable linear (D3DTEXF_LINEAR) upscaling filter for the direct3d9 renderer (16 bit color depth games only)
    d3d9linear=true

; ### Compatibility settings ###
    ; Use the following settings in case there are any issues with the game

; Hide WM_ACTIVATEAPP and WM_NCACTIVATE messages to prevent problems on alt+tab
    noactivateapp=false

; Max game ticks per second, possible values: -1 = disabled, -2 = refresh rate, 0 = emulate 60hz vblank, 1-1000 = custom game speed
    ; Note: Can be used to slow down a too fast running game, fix flickering or too fast animations
    ; Note: Usually one of the following values will work: 60 / 30 / 25 / 20 / 15 (lower value = slower game speed)
    maxgameticks=0

; Gives cnc-ddraw full control over the mouse cursor (required for adjmouse/boxing/maintas)
    ; Note: Set this to 'false' if your cursor becomes invisible at some places in the game
    handlemouse=true

; Windows API Hooking, Possible values: 0 = disabled, 1 = IAT Hooking, 2 = Microsoft Detours, 3 = IAT+Detours Hooking (All Modules), 4 = IAT Hooking (All Modules)
    ; Note: Change this value if windowed mode or upscaling isn't working properly
    ; Note: 'hook=2' will usually work for problematic games, but 'hook=2' must be combined with renderer=gdi
    hook=4

; Force minimum FPS, possible values: 0 = disabled, -1 = use 'maxfps=' value, 1-1000 = custom FPS
    ; Note: Set this to a low value such as 5 or 10 if some parts of the game are not being displayed (e.g. menus or loading screens)
    minfps=0

; Disable fullscreen-exclusive mode for the direct3d9/opengl renderers
    ; Note: Can be used in case some GUI elements like buttons/textboxes/videos/etc.. are invisible
    nonexclusive=false

; Force CPU0 affinity, avoids crashes/freezing, *might* have a performance impact
    singlecpu=true

3dfx I havent touched, except for the windowed option, I can send screens or settings file (I couldn't find one) if necessary.
    Edit 2: It seems to me that glide is always running, no matter which option I chose (except for -w)
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 11, 2021, Original Post Date: Dec 11, 2021 ---
    Ok, so the solution seems to be... to actually run D2VidTst.exe in the game folder and select ddraw. Now I can actually see the difference between glide and ddraw. When using ddraw the mouse is not glitching, though the problem persist with glide. Funnily enough I also tried using the -w -3dfx tags on Game.exe shorcut and mouse is not glitching in that scenario. Anyways problem solved, thanks for the help :)

Attached Files:

• s1.png
      s1.png
      File size:
      156.7 KB
      Views:
    • s2.png
      s2.png
      File size:
      138 KB
      Views:
    • s3.png
      s3.png
      File size:
      138.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    Gix likes this.
  4. Gix

Gix Founder

Glad to hear that, @Henry2. Indeed, D2VidTst.exe should be run in order to choose the video mode, that's mentioned in the glide guide threads as well.
    I was about to suggest launching the game from a shortcut with -w -3dfx as the Glide Wrapper guide says so too since the order seems to matter. Then again glide is old and buggy while ddraw is far superior and being actively developed.

• Draft saved Draft deleted