New trading channel (Topaz Chat also)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by sphinx25, Jul 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sphinx25

sphinx25 Well-Known Member

A suggestion here (please add your feedback), of which I've been thinking for a while: would it be a good idea to create a distinct "official" channel for trading only? The chat is usually a mess, and has been so for years, with all kinds of things mixed up. This way, at least, it would reduce (by a lot) the "clutter" in the main channel. People interested in trading would be able to join that dedicated channel, as well as the main one.

All trading announcements should go there, and the main channel should be left for all other purposes (rushes, questions, ad-hoc PC, pointless chat, you name it. This way, people who are really interested in buying / selling stuff would have a dedicated channel for this purpose.

Proposed name: EBN trading (from EuropeBattleNet, of course).
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 24, 2020, Original Post Date: Jul 7, 2020 ---
    Thank you for the likes, gentlemen.
    One additional idea: if possible, this trade channel should have a rule of one post every X minutes (and a bot to warn / slap / kick rule breakers). Why? Simple, everyone hates spammers, and there are plenty of them with huge deficit of patience, who paste the same message over and over and over again, till they get what they want or get silenced by some form of authority (most often server veterans).
    And one last thing, not pertaining to this particular suggestion, and which has been brought up in the past: is there a way to bring more visibility to this forum area? I discovered it by accident, some months ago, and I'm quite convinced that not that many forum users pay any attention to it. Most suggestions have a number of views, but also 0 replies; doesn't look like much of an interaction, which a forum is supposed to achieve.
    Just my two cents.

MMladenov and pan_pawel like this.
  2. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Administrator

I beg to differ that chat is usually a mess, quite the contrary. The spam is almost nonexistent in here and the channel is a logged and monitored one where we make use of moderating commands if necessary.
    Maybe many years ago when the game was at its peak or if the vicious spambots that used to promote websites selling items would exist in this community too like in the original game then separate channels would have been a good idea but in its current state I don't think splitting the community is a good idea and over the years most players seem to prefer one channel over multiple ones as it keeps everyone together. In fact, this is one of the benefits we have and that is an extremely active in-game chat channel besides, we have a forum marketplace as well which we always recommend for large lists of items.
    Additionally, everyone who posts their message too often (trade message or not) already receives a whisper notification in case they need to be warned and the same applies in case of bad language.

The number of thread views doesn't necessarily translate into replies count.

kiwifruit, Kefflar32, Gix and 2 others like this.
  3. Gix

Gix Founder

I think @sphinx25 refers to the chat in general for this game and I agree this used to be a problem back in the days when the spam bots existed in retail but it is definitely not the case in our community.
    As @Ezekiel mentioned, our main chat channel is always monitored and people have always been able to understand each other and trade together in one channel. If someone posts their message too often or is about to become too toxic for our community standards then we always contact the said players in private and inform them.
    We did have separate channels too at some point in the beginning but one main channel worked a lot better for us and so far it didn't felt like creating additional official channels was needed. On top of that, one could be missing various help requests, build discussions etc for being in a different channel and not always wanting to open a second mule window but we can always make adjustments if something changes in the future though.

Kefflar32 likes this.
  4. sphinx25

sphinx25 Well-Known Member

There are aspects that I did not take into account, when I made the suggestions. Also, you obviously know the server better than me, any of us users, how it fared across year.
    Thanking you, gentlemen, for the replies, I withdraw these suggestions and leave it to your judgement if and when to apply any of them.