Question - does it make sense to create handmade runestones?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by golp, Jun 20, 2020.

1. golp

golp Supporter

Hello guys
    You may know me as golp/roland
    I'm here from 2014

So the question is : will it be valuable for me and you (overall d2 community) to create IRL (in real life) set of stones (maybe start with most popular ones)

I like to work with my hands, but ofc im not pro
    I like wood, have an idea to gather local stones near sea and make runes with tools (then apply paint and then apply finish)

The question is partly regarding financial part - what should i ask (ofc depends on country) on this?
    Because i suspect tools will be pricey, working with wood is cheaper.
    Feel free to add your thoughts.

P.S. Ofc I googled is anything like that exist, found ones in d2 theme (as for me not looking pure d2)
    Google query - d2 runes handmade

Waffle likes this.
  2. sphinx25

sphinx25 Well-Known Member

I haven't googled for this, but using common sense, I imagine that you wood need good stone (preferably pick it up from somewhere close to where you live), a very good chisel or two (one for hard labour - breaking stuff, the other for finer touches), and one or two hammers (heavier one for the hard work, smaller - maybe even wooden - one for the fine work). Rest is patience, skill (which builds up, as you go) and a lot of work.
    Just my two cents.

golp likes this.
  3. golp

golp Supporter

Thanks for response!
    My idea is to collect sea stones (i will be on vacation in the next month) and work with them. so no need to break stone, i will collect almost ready (find good 'bases' xD) for rune work

4. sphinx25

sphinx25 Well-Known Member

It's a trial and error process, the way I see it. Try something, fail, try another, fail again, repeat until you hit what really works.
    Anyway, it's a really unusual, in a positive way, idea that you are pursuing. Kudos for that!

Waffle likes this.
  5. SabrinaF

SabrinaF Member

There are specific tools for stone carving. You may need these tools to make your effort fruitful. You'd better meet a stone carving person to get better knowledge

golp likes this.
  6. kiwifruit

kiwifruit Game Master

I saw you asked about financial part so... I will give some examples outside of that field totally, but just helping tips for digital freelancers I've learned through the years and I give whenever I'm asked.
    As any "craft" job that you do with your hands to calculate the price is tricky and you need to consider a few things:
    • How much time did it take you? How much do you value your time (realistically, e.g. web development for freelancers could start from beginner guy 10$ per hour, senior guy 70$) - In the cost of the senior guy comes the efficiency and the amount of time it took him to be that quick and good with it. In that hour do you take some breaks? If you took an 8 hour day but took few breaks, lunch and etc then you might add some extra time from you.
    • Then you have some cost of tools. E.g. "render machine" 50$ per day. Some software license cost of software applications are like 2 000$-10 000$ per year - you end up charging some fee for that too.
    • Now the hard part is, how valuable is what you are doing - this gets more tricky as while you are learning a trade you are also gaining experience from it. Let's say that your first pieces are more valuable for you to learn the workflow, gain experience and then they can be used as 'portfolio'. The second and third time you make the same piece you will do it in a fraction of the time it took you initially. It will be more expensive if someone wants you to create a specific 'design of a piece' that you have to research, figure out how to make, and etc.
    • another segment is how many other craftsmen carving stones are there? If some guy is already established you will need to price yourself cheaper, if not much cheaper in order to get your first enquiries. Some people do some work for free initially get some coverage. I guess it also depends whether you want to do this as a hobby, side gig or a fulltime craftsman.
    Hope this was not totally useless, coming from another point of view.

Gix and sphinx25 like this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted