Smiter: Fortitude applies damage and is better than Coh or not?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Sonic, Jun 19, 2018.

?

Choose!

1. Fortitude, the bug display is real and applies!

62.5%
  2. CoH, always, the bug is a lie...

37.5%
  1. Sonic

Sonic Member

I would like to open this discussion
    Copy&Paste:
    Smite is a special case spell/attack

• [li]The speed of smite is based on the equipped weapon.[/li]
      [li]Smite causes durability loss to the equipped weapon.[/li]
      [li]Smite's damage is based on the shield. Only Paladins see the listed Smite damage on shields.[/li]
      [li]Damage types that work with Smite: Crushing Blow and Open Wounds.[/li]
      [li]Damage types that do not work with Smite: Life and mana leech, Deadly Strike, elemental damage from Auras, undead damage from Sanctuary, damage from Charms.[/li]
      [li]Smite will steal life (only) when the Life Tap Curse is active on the target.[/li]
      [li]Smite always hits, so can be very useful against monsters or players with high defense.[/li]
      [li]Bosses and SuperUniques have a resistance to being stunned, but will be stunned with repeated hits. [/li]
      [li]Act Bosses can not be stunned.[/li]
      [li]Stun lengths are decreased to 1/2 in Nightmare and 1/4 in Hell.[/li]

Why Fortitude and not Chains of Honor?
    While CoH has more resistances and a few skills. The extra damage to demons does not increase smite damage. Fortitude increases your smite damage by about 1500.

How do I calculate my REAL smite damage?
    Code
    ( Shield Smite Damage + Holy Shield + "+Damage" Mod on Grief ) * ( 1 + ( Strength + Smite Enhanced Damage % + Fanaticism Self Damage % + 300 Fortitude + Any other source of off-weapon Enhanced damage) / 100 )

Example: Using this guide's gear, with an optional Paladin Torch. I do ( 46 + (89 to 92) + 340 ) * ( 1 + ( 153 + 420 + 475 + 300 ) /100 )
    Simplifying: (475 to 478) * 14.48 == (6878 to 6921) Smite Damage. The Character screen only reads (1552 to 1587)

If my grief was NOT the lowest roll 340. Each extra point of grief +Damage would get multiplied by 14.48 in my case. Which means that upgrading my Grief to a +400 damage Grief, would add a huge 868 Damage.

If this is true, then Fortitude + Grief always would be better than Coh or any other weapon?
    What do you think? :whistle:
    Please, don't hit between the legs, avoid the blood and play clean ;)
    Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2018
  2. Tzutzu79

Tzutzu79 You're too late, Hahaha.. Moderator

As far as I know grief+forty in terms of raw damage always would be > than grief+coh. In terms of defense and safer kills then coh+grief is better. But this combo is used more in Utristram I believe

Fatty180 likes this.
  3. Escorb4r

Escorb4r Supporter

You should remove that forum link , its not acceptable linking to other d2 forums.
    Note: Keep this in mind next time you post, Glad to see it removed!

Gix likes this.
  4. Angeloffaith

Angeloffaith Grail Done Supporter

Yeah but coh addes 2 skills and rest all 65 witch Fort dont have of both if you dont have a Lw pb or zerk u might die faster

5. RandAlThor

RandAlThor Senior Member

Overall Fortitude is the better option for a Smiter imo. With Meph being the real threat, the max light res can be quite helpful, especially paired with tgods. The res lost in comparison to CoH is easily made up by a few sc's or slight gear swaps. The +skills lost ultimately only benefits your life over fortitude - the dmg lost is less than the gain from fort, and with skill usage, the only other factor being the life lost from BO.

My two cents anyhow.

Hello123 and Fatty180 like this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted