Trying to install again on friends computer, not working

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by The-Myth, Jul 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The-Myth

The-Myth Active Member

My friend is letting me use her computer over the weekend to play Diablo. She of course needed to reinstall it. I downloaded it, followed all instructions, even did all suggestions in the readme/FAQ documents. When I click to open the game, game guard opens, but the game window does not. Gameguard will then either automatically close, or sits on my screen, I then have to logout to get it removed. What the heck are we doing wrong?

2. Endotoxin

Endotoxin Supporter

I had a problem with game gaurd and my virus protection software. Everytime it would run the software manually deleted like 10 files out of my d2 folder lol. Try completely removing every trace of d2, reinstalling, patching to 1.13c and then manually extracting the zip file into your d2 folder with no firewall or virus protection software.

3. Gix

Gix Founder

What do you mean Gameguard opens but the window not? If you start seeing the gameguard logo, connecting to the database and stuff, the game should also run.

What antivirus you're using ? Have you tried to turn off your antivirus or simply add the entire Diablo II folder into the exceptions list?

Also, what OS are we talking about?

4. Trapstar

Trapstar Member

Hello Myth . i have seen the same problem on a freinds computer.

try these steps:

1 run as administrator

2 Disable desktop structure

3 make it to run in windows xp service pack2 mode .

if that dosnt work try reinstalling d2 from the computer and simply try again :)

hope this solved the problem

5. The-Myth

The-Myth Active Member

[MENTION=1]Gix[/MENTION] The only thing that opens is gameguard. The actual game window doesn't open. The first time I tried, it did, but kept saying it couldn't verify the version. Now it doesn't open at all. All antivirus software was turned off, I went into properties and did the compatibility thing, also did the run as administrator through the properties as well. I'm running Windows 8.1

6. Gix

Gix Founder

If it's the game that's not working then something is messed up with permissions so you'll probably need to turn ON the Data Execution Prevention. Read here how to do it.

7. fistoffaust

fistoffaust Supporter

Did you try installing the patches manually and even running the GWE as admin?

Edit:
    In my drunken mode I was having issues with it saying stuff about the versions and I reinstalled d2 and did everything manually and as admin for everything and it worked after a while

8. The-Myth

The-Myth Active Member

It ended up pissing me off, so I gave up on it. Was only installing it for a weekend anyway lol

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.