Solved Unhandled Exception when I click on "video options".

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by Righteous, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Righteous

Righteous Member

Hey guys! I started playing on your server yesterday, followed the connection guide and everything worked perfectly fine.
    Today though, I reinstalled diablo, followed everything step by step again (a friend of mine did the same too) and we both get an error when we try to click on video options to change resolution. I looked around on the forum but couldn't find a solution. Running on win7 64bit, tried the compatibility thingies, also tried installing glide, same error. Added the exceptions (not that it should matter). Same error, single player or online. If I don't try to enter the video options everything is fine, but 640x480 is kinda creepy xD Any idea what might cause this? The exact error is(when I click on VIDEO OPTIONS, doesn't even show me the resolution menu; when I click video options game crashes):
    ---------------------------
    Diablo II Exception
    UNHANDLED EXCEPTION:
    ACCESS_VIOLATION (c0000005)
    OK

BTW after installing glide (followed the links on the forum), I get the same error when I try to connect to the server (gateway is correct).

Regards,
    Righteous

2. Gix

Gix Founder

Well, definetly something is messed up on client side, although I find it weird. You sure you didn't applied other patch files besides our server's?

Try this and let us know how it goes: Open D2VidTst.exe located inside your Diablo II folder and change to 2D video settings then try using glide/changing video options again.

3. Righteous

Righteous Member

Yesterday I tried two different servers. Yours was the second one. Although I used the same game directory, everything was working just fine. Today I decided to reinstall Diablo so I can install only the files of your server (didn't like the other one so much). After the clean install, it all went down the drain. I haven't installed any patches besides yours. I followed the connection guide literally step by step. It is really strange. I tried compatibility mode for both XP and win7 (tried with every exe) although I don't think this should cause the issue, since the game has only resolution problems. As I said after I installed glide, I get the same error when I try to connect to the gateway. Funny thing - I tried what you suggested, but when I select 2D in vidtest options, and I click OK, the next time I open it it is still set to guide. I am thinking of getting a clean install, install the other server's files and then overwriting with your server files and see if it will make it work again xD (although this would be waaaaay too weird).

4. Gix

Gix Founder

Indeed, this is really weird and I can't remember we ever had anyone with your problem ever before. The only scenarios I've seen regarding this error is the one when you're running the d2 itself but not when trying to change video settings. Indeed, it's really weird but I might also suspect broken registry files due to constant writing/overwriting of registry data from multiple servers. (all video settings, glide settings, etc are stored into registry files and not inside your diablo2 folder)

5. Righteous

Righteous Member

A registry problem is the only thing I also thought of to be the reason, because it is the only thing that does not wipe after a clean uninstall/re-install (at least I think so). The problem is I don't know how to fix this. Can I delete the registry file and re-install the game or just add your server registry key again? And what should I look for in the registry in order to do that? Any help is appreciated!
    Cheers!

edit: Oh, btw! I get the same error in single player too...

6. Righteous

Righteous Member

Best Answer
    Update: I opened regedit and deleted every piece of registry file and folder that had anything to do with diablo 2. Worked like a charm. Bad thing is I don't know what exactly caused this, but it must have been something with the video settings since the other server supported higher resolutions. Cheers!

7. Gix

Gix Founder

Exactly as I thought. In this case I'm pretty sure that glide was the one that messed up the registry files.

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.