Solved windowed mode

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by dahappygoat, Jul 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dahappygoat

dahappygoat Senior Member

Hello I'm posting this incase anyone has any issues using windowed mode SINCE the NEWEST gameguard patches were released. Make sure you delete all of your old desktop icons prior to patching, I was making the mistaking of running my old shortcuts and for some reason "europebattle" was no longer bypassing gameguard splash and opening windowed mode. Go into your Diablo 2 directory AFTER extracting new gameguard patch contents to the folder. For working windowed mode right click "Loader", click properties, do the usual, click compatibility mode for Win XP SP 2, and click always run as admin. Apply setting and click okay. Right click Loader and create shortcut towards your desktop. Now your windowed mode will always launch properly, mine wasn't even after patching. In fact europebattle no longer gets past gameguard anymore, so the only way I can open windowed mode is by using "Loader". Thanks for looking.

2. Gix

Gix Founder

@dahappygoat, probably EuropeBattle.exe wasn't running in compatibility mode/as admin anymore. Replacing once more and making sure those are turned on should solve it, add -w for window mode and that's it although the installer does that automatically. PS: You could download the individual update too, that replaces just 1 file.

3. dahappygoat

It's very strange even after making all new property settings and shortcuts after patching, loader is the only one that goes past gameguard for windowed.

4. Gix

Gix Founder

The update only contains one library file that's been modified and it only concerns auto update module, everything else is still the same. You can use the loader since it's been made to start directly in window mode anyway but you can always try to completly remove the game folder and extract again the portable client then apply the server patch if you prefer to use a different game executable. As far as people told me they didn't had to change a thing after installing the fix and neither did I their game runs fine as usual but it's diablo2, this game it's acting strange at times especially on new operating systems.

5. dahappygoat

that means the problem is all based on my pc alone, interesting. Maybe I simply needed to restart, L0l