The rare character movement (a personal challenge)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Henry2, Nov 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry2

Henry2 Senior Member

Hello people!
    after coming back to d2 many times in the past ~ 10 years I have noticed that the game gets a bit stale a bit too quickly for my taste. With the new season closing in I started thinking why that is. Excluding the obvious reasons (20 years old game, accumulated in-game experiece etc.) I have found the following (note that this is not supposed to be a rant nor am I requesting any changes, these are merely my observations):

Increased xp rate
    • the extra xp generally reduces public game variety (xp locations - anyone remembers tr or cow norm games? :D) especially at the start of the season and thus reducing community engagement - there is no need to cooperate when you are overleveled
    • there is no time to use early to mid game items and since the game is mostly about gradually building your character, this cuts out a significant part of the game
    Unique items drop rates from trav, nithalak etc.
    • trav and nith drop uniques almost every single time
    • this floods the market and devaluate all the items that already struggle to compete with runewords
    • imo MF chars are rendered useless (unless you want to be inefficient and farm TC87 locations)
    • hell difficulty becomes way too easy for almost any character
    • TC87 items are not that rare (this might just be my impression)
    Rune drop rate / runewords
    • building high-end runewords does not feel special or rewarding since it is so easy
    • unique items are mostly rendered obsolete
    • runewords such as infinity are literally game breaking
    • melee/caster balance is broken
    • absolutely ridiculous market prices (though I guess thats always relative to the supply)
    • HR availability promotes a selection of high-end builds, thus reducing build diversity

Anyways, to the point of this thread.
    In order to escape the system (except for the xp part) I would like to propose a challenge for this season :) Let's make some inefficient characters that will only use magic/rares and crafts.
    Here are some suspected benefits:
    • hell can be an actual challenge
    • getting decent gear is a challenge
    • your character is actually unique
    • slower but more rewarding progression
    • slightly better build balance and diversity
    • some need to cooperate with other people
    • a new rares market
    • MF actually serves a purpose
    Here are some basic rules
    • The character name should start with a agreed upon prefix or identifier
    • The character should prefer play with other "rare" characters
    • Only Magic/Rare/Crafted/(Set?) items are allowed
    • Facets are allowed
    • Ani/torch/greed are allowed
    • Skillers should be limited to 8 (as in vanilla with cube in inventory)
    Anyways this is the basic idea, I haven't quite figured out all the details yet. What do you guys think? Anyone interested?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    nycter likes this.
  2. milenskipln

milenskipln Well-Known Member

I dont have problem with the drops but inventory is so huge it takes a lot of time to fill it up with decent charms

3. Blessedone

Blessedone Well-Known Member

Can't say i agree and on too many points to actually bother to write all...lets just say if i wanted play regular or vanilla D2...I would not play here in first place lol. Also i think this post should have been written in suggestions ;).

Kefflar32 likes this.
  4. Henry2

Henry2 Senior Member

Oh man, I'm starting to regret posting anything in the first place. Believe it of not I also enjoy the modifications of the server, no need to send me to play vanilla ;) I also specifically stated that I am not making any demands for changes hence it is here and not in suggestions. Just looking for an extra challenge when I'm done with the regular gameplay, that's all. Thought that somebody might feel the same way (not you apparently)

Kefflar32 likes this.
  5. Blessedone

Blessedone Well-Known Member

Sorry didn't plan to sound toxic...every1 plays way they like. Personally i like trading,crafting and rolling skillers for an army of alts lol. One can always find few likeminded folk and go make chars way u plan,same goes with LLD and such.

Kefflar32 likes this.
  6. Henry2

Henry2 Senior Member

Yeah well online enviroment hardly ever gets the best out of us. Technically you are correct, it is a suggestion (not for a change tho), Because I also included my personal opinion on state of things I though it would fit here better. Anyways I agree, everyone like to play differently. I was thinking that this season it could be nice to offer a non-intrusive alternative to the meta. Maybe I was being foolish and in the end I will be the only one to play this way, who knows. :ROFLMAO:

7. Gix

Gix Founder

The extra experience only saves you a few hours at most to get past level 80 and keep in mind that it decreases as you level up. This game was never designed to make a challenge out of leveling up, at least not until you reach level 94 as for the drops, many people don't have the free time they used to have 15-20 years ago so they prefer a faster pace and even with that long-term ladders can still be maintained. We actually did make some modifications at some point several years ago by removing the guaranteed uniques and the feedback was almost entirely a negative one, the drops are unique to this community and it's one of the reasons why it's been extremely popular for the past 16 years.
    As for building runewords, well it's all about RNG and when it comes to prices it's not like you need to trade only perfect items when absolutely every single decent stats item is extremely affordable. What costs more are the absolute rare and perfect items which is not ridiculous to think of; it's the same in vanilla after all, just that it translates to a different currency besides, there are no such things as bots and dupes in here which makes a big difference. If you're going to hop in and read the chat every day you will also see people mentioning they don't get much and they'd wish the rates were even higher so you cannot please everyone. Also, MF serves the same purpose as in vanilla and farming those locations is actually what you should be doing in the first place.

You did say it's more of a personal challenge than a suggestion and you can definitely create your own challenges but one who is casually playing as it seems to be your case too would usually embrace the faster pace a bit more, however, there will always be people who get bored fast no matter if it's vanilla or a faster progress realm. Personal challenges are a good thing and can keep things exciting, I'd even recommend you beat the game on classic with no external help such as enchanting; it's a lot of fun. Also, classic has no runewords which you seem to be against so that could work great for you.

milenskipln, Blessedone and Kefflar32 like this.
    Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.