WinE CPU %

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ameth, Oct 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ameth

ameth Senior Member

Is there anyone running the d2 client on Linux with windows emulator? I wonder, how much cpu % game guard needs there?

Windows xp (running it with vmware player v16), it seems to ask for 500 MHz CPU per client and some extra with additional clients. If I am running D2 on a VM with 1x 1 GHz cpu thread, 2 clients are stable. Leaving / joining games sooner or later game guard trashing the 3rd client. With 1x 3.5 GHz cpu thread, 4 clients are stable, the 5th gets into trash sooner or later. Will be great any similar CPU test with WinE.

All I need is keeping mules in town to boost the exp gain for my main char. They do not have to do anything, but at least, game guard should not drop them out. Thinking about how to keep 7 mules online with less CPU cost as possible.

Any wisdom is appreciated.

2. Gix

Gix Founder

If you want to use as little CPU as possible then don't run the game in a virtual environment. Why are you using such unnecessary setup in the first place? What is your main OS? The game guard is irrelevant here as it needs less than < 1% CPU in total, it's the game itself that you need to watch for when it comes to resources and if you want more running instances then you should be allocating more resources. Also, keep in mind that blizzard designed their game in such a way that they left multiple unclosed sleep functions inside their client.

3. ameth

ameth Senior Member

Well, the game does not drop out itself. That game guard is the only culprit to blame. And as I see, that 1% is probably true on a 128-core system or something like that. My laptop has 4 cpu threads only (i3 1005g1 cpu), and here is what I do see on my task manager:
    d2_Screen.jpg

(Stack: game client + eubnet register + cpu bug fix + wide screen + sting mh integrated + win 10 sound fix indirect sound and xaudio2)

The player on the screen + 3 in party means they are 4 x D2 clients are running. Win 10 21h1. I could not safely run 8 clients on this laptop. After 3, sooner or later they crash. Neither this 4 is stable, whatever the task manager says. When I let them move to the next game, and they do it in the same time, some of clients do crash. Sooner or later. If I am to use +7 mules for hundreds of baal runs, I do need rock-stable method. D2 clients are more stable in a virtualized environment, max 2 clients on one OS image, and winxp eats the less (not sure if this modified client would run on Win98, I did not test that yet).

Edit: And about Linux - any cheap VPS server I find online they are all offering Linux, not Windows :(

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  4. Gix

Gix Founder

Expand those processes if you want to see the actual game guard module usage as in this image otherwise, that's a perfectly normal resource usage for the original game client that you are seeing. Secondly, you should not be running this setup for all of your mules but instead, you should keep a separate secondary folder without the need for widescreen and every other add-on being applied. The cpu bug fix patch is also not necessarily required for every system, you would need to understand what it does in the first place as this is something that the original game client has always experienced and almost no one ever noticed it was a glitch until the last few years when we actually patched some of the functions that blizzard coded poorly.
    Either way, a virtualized environment will always be slower than the native system that runs it and you definitely do not need a VPS to play this game.

PS: You claim that you let them move to the next game, how exactly are you doing that? Or you are referring to the maphack shortcut key?

5. ameth

ameth Senior Member

Today win10 21h1 (soon win110) - can we state that cpu bug fix is not needed anymore in the game stack? (I found no deep technical analysis what does that cpubugfix does. You are right, I have no clue.)

There is a line in the config file ("d2hackmap.cfg) of the integrated Sting MH: "Quick Next Game Key: VK_d". I am using that. With many clients running in an environment of limited CPU power (like a winXP running in Oracle VirtualBox), some clients do not arrive to the next game after "join game" button hit but vanishes from the process list. The original LoD expansion demanded 233 MHz of CPU. I do remember to run 4 clients back in time on a 600 MHz CPU. Some of them gone frame-lagged, yes, but muling was possible and those game clients did not kill themselves ever. Game clients of this realm seems different.

About VPS. An admin of a hosting company explained to me how VPS and VDS are different. You are right, I definitely cannot use VPS to play this game :(