Solved Install Help

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by Nivek, Jun 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nivek

Nivek Member

My kids play Diablo2, quite a lot lately with this virus keeping them home. They used Battlenet thru blizzard. Now it seems they reset ladders or something and it screwed with their characters somehow. Someone's runeword didn't work. Not sure they were ever playing to win, just playing to collect sets of armor or the like. Whatever keeps them busy. So my son had this site recommended to him. I read your website, but being a novice computer type I wanted to know if before I start downloading and installing do I need to erase or delete the existing battlenet app and Diablo game off the computer first? I assume the account doesn't transfer.
    Thanks in Advance

2. Atox

Atox Senior Game Master Moderator

colder and Gix like this.
  3. Gix

Gix Founder

Unless you experience issues with launching the game then you don't need to delete any existing app, simply follow our install instructions as @Atox mentioned and you will be able to play. By installing the game into a separate directory you can keep both versions and switch between realms via the gateway editor available from our tools page if ever needed.

4. Nivek

Nivek Member

OK, so I forgot to mention I don't have a CD the game was bought electronically through battlenet? I guess its called. I assume it downloads in the latest patch so divert it to a separate folder and use your patch to make it compatible with 1.13c. I'll give it a try.
    Never mind, like they say reading is fundamental.......

OK, an update. I goofed apparently installing your patch. I get all the way to the create/join game screen and once I try to go beyond it gives me the classic windows "you screwed up" tone and screen looks like it's at 64x128 resolution and frozen.
    So I tried it again reinstalling portable game and patch into a different folder. Still no joy, possibly because I got europebattle and USAbattle installed into same portable game. I had my son helping which is cool father wise, not so great installation wise. Evidently he tried again today unsuccessfully. So now I have 3 different versions of my mistake on one PC. Before I try again is there anyway to uninstall my previous attempts? Windows uninstall a program thing doesn't see the game at all except for the original battlenet version.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 17, 2020, Original Post Date: Jun 16, 2020 ---
    Hello. oh wait i did this wrong I'll edit old message.

5. Gix

Gix Founder

6. pipo

pipo Senior Member

Hello mate if you still got issues with inataling i can help you out, theres an app teamviewer that wiill allow me to enter in your pc and do the job for you, if you want ofc!

7. Nivek

Nivek Member

OKay I followed instructions on that post closely. It did change the result. When using battleusa, loader or game.exe the little martian from bugs bunny pops up in corner of screen first, then front and center. After he goes away nothing happens. Same when using the shortcut the game installs on desktop. Is there a large time delay between double clicking and game starting? When i clicked Diablo2 icon the game started and usabattle was listed as the server. I got as far as creating a game and after clicking past that it shows hooded guy at door in full screen, and then announcement 'Failed to join game' after a minute or so. When I first get to the create/join a game screen it has "you must install our custom game patch from usabattle or europe battle" above create\join. I installed the patch on the usabattle join page and set the register as instructed although when unpacking the zipped file it also reset the register. My initial problem may have been that even unpacking the portable version of game into a separate folder when it loaded it was still version 1.14. I have now uninstalled diablo2 xpac using remove a program under windows. I did not uninstall battlenet though.
    Now I still get nothing with usabattle,loader or game.exe. The Diablo icon gets me a box saying ?????Game???? or something similar. I have loaded and tried to erase so much doing this (probably incorrectly on the uninstalls) I am wondering if I need to do a system restore and try again with a clean slate.

I actually have found out during this that I am not running any antivirus on the machine in question, even windows defender. Which is something I have to fix. After I solve this game problem. Sorry to be such a bother but I seem to be type of computer person who needs to just insert a thumb drive or CD and click install.

8. Gix

Gix Founder

@Nivek, if the loaded version was still 1.14 after unpacking and running the portable 1.13 that means you did not follow those steps correctly and as mentioned in the post I linked you should remove any previous game client as well as the registry gateway because it keeps reading the old game path and it's causing a conflict when trying to run the game. If you are a novice computer type then you have to keep it very simple. You can either uninstall the game via the control panel as well as deleting the folder completely but the registry key has to be deleted as well. Check your private message and maybe we can synchronize our online time so I can help you out remotely with installing the game.

/edit Solved. The game was initially uninstalled incorrectly and the registry was not clean before the fresh re-install according to the instructions from this post.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    colder likes this.
    Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.