Solved Applying Widescreen Support Causes c0000005

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by SerEvergreen, Feb 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SerEvergreen

SerEvergreen Member

Good day to EuropeBattleNet team!

After having installed everything properly and ensured all settings are correct, my instance of EuropeBattleNet D2 runs fine. However, after applying Widescreen Support from our tools, c000005 exception always occurs, and removing it allows the game to run normally again.

upload_2021-2-22_12-21-3.png

From taking a look at other support cases, I wonder if this might have something to do with Glide Wrapper being integrated for the windowed widescreen implementation (I did not try to run in fullscreen through parsing into 3dfx, only running directly in the modded windowed mode), though I might get this wrong, and I have not found any report of this bug pattern nor anything else that might suggest a solution.

2. Atox

Atox Senior Game Master Moderator

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  3. SerEvergreen

SerEvergreen Member

As mentioned, I have already ensured that everything is set up properly, with all potential setting issues already accounted for, and as such, that troubleshooting thread unfortunately does not apply to me. I also did not find anything in the readme that is relevant to my case.

For now I'll play without widescreen until we figure this out.

4. Gix

Gix Founder

Hello and welcome aboard @SerEvergreen,
    What other tools are you using besides Widescreen? Are you using the integrated sting map hack next to it?
    Glide Wrapper could indeed be the culprit when used with multiple other tools as c0000005 is a popular generic error of Windows OS. Are you running the game executable in compatibility mode at the moment?

5. sphinx25

sphinx25 Well-Known Member

Here's what works for me (Win 10 configuration, D2 VidTest set to D2Direct, not glide): using a RemoteDll32.exe file (Run as Admin), as injector, I inject d2hackmap.dll (Sting), autoteleport.dll and D2HD.dll (Widescreen dll file) into the target process, working like a charm, no errors, no anything.
    The RemoteDll32.exe file is not hosted among the tools on the website, but it does exactly the same job as the injectors listed there do, i.e. inject dll files into target D2 process(es). I tried posting a link some time ago, but it was removed. (search for 'remotedll securityxploded', download and install)
    Give it a try and see how it works, then post back here.

6. Gix

Gix Founder

7. SerEvergreen

SerEvergreen Member

It was a clean installation with no other tool or injection at play. Regarding the .exe, I am running Loader.exe, and the exception occurred regardless if it was in compatibility mode or not, nor which OS compat layer it was running in, while it ran normally without the widescreen tool.

In addition, after encountering this issue and decided to play without widescreen tool, I did apply CPU Fix tool, but it does not seem to work, as the client's CPU utilization remains high. I wonder if this is system-specific to me and if it might be related to this case as well, as otherwise it should be treated as a separate issue of CPU Fix alone, and I need to open another thread for it.

8. Gix

Gix Founder

Unless you have a low-end PC and you have CPU issues with running multiple game windows on it then you won't really need the CPU fix patch. Almost no one knew about this game design flaw until a few years ago anyway so if your game is running fine then you won't see any noticeable difference. The fact that it does nothing for you though is odd, have you tested it while being in an actual game and not in the channel or character selection screen?
    As for widescreen, if you've tested that with no additional tools such as maphack installed then it's pretty hard to say what could cause the exception error for you especially since you are running the game in compatibility and window mode as well. You could give it a try and see if it runs full screen for you via glide as well.

SerEvergreen and Stefansg like this.
  9. SerEvergreen

SerEvergreen Member

Best Answer
    I am happy to report that, after a hard restart (fast boot and hybrid sleep disabled, I never have them on) of the system today, everything suddenly works with no exception occurring, and both widescreen and CPU fix are functioning properly as well. I think putting the system into hibernation, which I did the day before resuming and then installing our D2 to play, might have done some funky things in the background, and a reboot cleared it all up. My apology for this false alarm of a case, and thank you all for spending your time assisting me with this matter.

Nopik, Gix and colder like this.
  10. Gix

Gix Founder

Glad to hear that, @SerEvergreen. Had no idea people still use hibernate these days which is probably the reason why there isn't a similar post to yours, but that's going to be useful information in case someone experiences the same problem as yours and uses hibernation mode as well for his computer.
    From what I've read on several forums it's not the first time hibernate is causing some odd issues with various software installed on people's PC and most likely this has to do with the .sys file created by the OS when the computer goes into hibernation mode. Disabling hibernation and restarting your PC will remove this file which contains various OS settings and information stored at the time of creation.

/edit I will mark your post as the best answer instead of mine since you're the one who figured it out and that's the solution after all.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    colder, SerEvergreen and sphinx25 like this.