Solved Error c0000005

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by Fear0fTheDark, Feb 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fear0fTheDark

Fear0fTheDark Senior Member

Hey guys.
    I have installed the version of the game I played last time before reset/updating programs. I can play it but try to use Widescreen patch.
    I can do it working somehow but after I try to use the updated maphack (which is overwite .dll files) it gives me error c0000005.
    After that I'm trying with portable version from the website - same error.
    Try it for the 3rd time - same error.

I don't get it, why there's not included everything in the portable version. I can't even start the game at the moment.
    My steps are:
    1. extract the game to a folder.
    2. extract/install the eurobattlenet patch + registry adding
    3. extract widescreen things, set settings of glide-init.exe, then starting dxdiag and choose glide
    4. extract BHmaphack to D2 folder
    5. make a desktop shortcut with compability win xp (sp2), run as admin and put a -3dfx in the target
    6. it start the logo of the "knight" then got the error
    :(

2. colder

colder One of the Legends Game Master

Hi, just i think you dont need to do too much in game.I prefer to just extract portable D2 Game, then extract EuropeBattleNet Archive from europebattle.net/join/ , unpack widescreen in folder and make shortcut diabloii.exe or game.exe with just compatibility winxp (sp2)+admin and -w on space (best windowed mode) and Run it.
    Regards

3. Fear0fTheDark

Doing it that way, same error, the game is not loading it's shows me the knight, then the stupid error.

4. Gix

Gix Founder

They're not included all together because maphack or widescreen are optional and as you can see in your case, you have a conflict using them altogether. Or if it's an older computer it may not support it.
    So the game works fine until you are trying to use maphack, widescreen and glide at the same time, right? Now, why are you trying to run glide with everything else?
    Get the maphack and widescreen files (if you plan on using it) and then start the game in window mode as recommended.
    Considering the error is c0000005, did you double check your DEP settings as instructed in this thread? If you did I suggest you select the other option and then select essential windows programs and services only back then restart your computer and try again. Let us know.

5. Fear0fTheDark

I wanna use widescreen + maphack. I think widescreen is only available when using glide only?!
    How can I use the widescreen & this maphack then? Don't get it..it's on my main PC, not old ones, also I'm on Win 10 right now.
    The game doesn't start with -w also, it's added in DEP settings also.

6. Gix

Gix Founder

No, you do not have to run the game through glide -3dfx to use widescreen.
    Could you post a screenshot of your DEP settings? It should be set for essential windows programs and services only.
    A clean install should follow the steps from this thread and once you are done you just apply maphack and widescreen files if that's what you want to use then run the game in window mode and in case it's needed you may have to set compatibility since you're running it on a modern operating system.

Kefflar32 and colder like this.
  7. Fear0fTheDark

I make a clean install (deleting the D2 folder in regedit also), install the europebattle patch and try to start it. The game starts (no matter added compatibility options or not) but when I click Bnet option it shows me error again.
    DEP.jpg

8. Gix

Gix Founder

I mentioned twice in this thread that your DEP settings may be incorrect and it's the reason why you get the c0000005 error from the very beginning.
    It should be set for essential windows programs and services only and not as you currently have it. Remove both executables you added in the box, select the first option of DEP and restart the computer.
    I gave you a direct link to this thread that explains it http://forum.europebattle.net/threads/common-game-errors-and-fixes.532466/
    This is how your DEP settings should look like https://i.gyazo.com/d11632e925ca3335d8ce2672038e09f0.png

9. Fear0fTheDark

Ohh I got it now, I think I MUST add them to the DEP. Yeah it fixed now easily, damn, that was easy. Thanks a lot mr. Gix.
    I have little worried about one in-game thing after the big resolution, can't see the health bar of my merc, because of the Settings menu of the maphack

10. Gix

Gix Founder

It should always be set for essential windows programs and services only unless specified otherwise.
    As for the maphack, if you click on the "Settings" box you will get an informative text telling you to press SHIFT and drag the box with your mouse if you wish to move it.