Solved Old issue continues

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by JivkoEnev, May 8, 2022.

1. JivkoEnev

JivkoEnev Supporter

Hello,

so what I mentioned before when I added the new launcher and all still persist. The issue is the following:

- massive delay when trying to alt+tab between windows;
    - random black screens around the d2 window, but the game runs fine, having to CTRL+ALT+DEL in order to remove it;
    - window remains showing when closing the game and completely crashes the windows, having to force shut-down.

I've tried to google that, but I actually cannot explain it to google for it to know what am I looking for. It is really weird, because I play heavier games than Diablo and I have no issues with them and I didn't have any issues last season, cuz I was playing fine with 8 games at the same time. I thought maybe a clean install might fix it, but it still persists and I've no idea where the issue is. Is it because I used to be on Windows 7 and now it has some issues with Windows 10, don't know.

If anyone has experience anything like that, please share. Thanks.

2. Gix

Gix Founder

Hello there,
    Unfortunately, your older thread from here is the only one I have ever found to have this issue so unless you've already tried changing D2VidTst.exe settings and running in full screen (in case you are running in window mode and vice versa) then something could be wrong with the video drivers or with some other installed piece of software that is interfering with this particular game.

3. JivkoEnev

JivkoEnev Supporter

Hiya,

well this is what I get when I do the d2vidtst. The options to choose from and for some reason an error. Could that be related?

P.S. Might need to open the 2nd image in a new tab as for some reason it looks blurry at first sight.

Attached Files:

4. kiwifruit

kiwifruit Game Master

Hey, are you trying to play in window mode or full screen?
    You should also check if your graphics drivers have an available update.
    Have you noticed any other software/games behaving weirdly lately?
    Also, your compatibility settings, compatibility set to run for Windows XP Service pack 2? and Run as administrator?

5. Gix

Gix Founder

Googling for the following keywords "alt tab pc freeze" should give you plenty of general results referring to various games and the troubleshooting will include some things mentioned in here as well such as driver issues, I've seen someone mentioning turning off the game mode in Windows 10 too or either faulty windows updates (less likely as many people use Windows 10 and I haven't noticed any faulty windows update for quite some time now) and even some bug in PCI Express power savings. Both old and newer games are mentioned in those searches, so it won't hurt if you try some of those advices. Unfortunately, debugging your issue isn't that easy and requires you to try various fix methods.

6. JivkoEnev

JivkoEnev Supporter

Yes, I've always played on window mode, since running full-screen on 24" monitor for such an old game looks a bit weird when it comes to the graphics ;D but I found this http://forum.europebattle.net/threads/glide-wrapper-error.546164/ added the sound pack, created a game, logged additional account into it and tried alt+tab, which worked, then tried closing the windows, which also worked, so I guess I'll monitor the situation if that actually fixed the issue or not :)

Never mind, that only worked for a brief moment. You can lock this one up I'll figure something out.
    Updating the graphics drivers did not help at all. As I mentioned in the previous topic when it comes to compatibility mode I only have Windows Vista for the Launcher, but Gix mentioned that I don't need to touch that one as long as the game.exe is set up.

Now.. can the fact that I have D2 Resurrected installed on my PC present as an issue? I kinda remember something in the past where 2 versions of Diablo were creating an issue with one another, but I'm not sure if that was true or not.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 10, 2022, Original Post Date: May 10, 2022 ---
    So what I finally did was setting up the glider, making a shortcut of game.exe and adding -w -3dfx -skiptobnet to it, so far I've played a few hours without a single issue. Basically I'm skipping using the launcher for the time being. Well not really a single issue, I get an error here and there, but it's nothing I can't deal with.

kiwifruit likes this.
  7. sphinx25

sphinx25 Well-Known Member

I remember that I had a similar experience, possibly the same exact error, when the new patch was released, in Dec 2021. Following @Gix 's advice, I reinstalled everything "by the book" and had no headache ever since. Strongly recommend that you do the same and come back with feedback.

kiwifruit likes this.
  8. Gix

Gix Founder

Multiple versions and leftovers of the same game may cause issues, although I haven't seen anything similar to what you got when it comes to Diablo, as those are usually different. If your solution works, then it looks like it could be related to the graphic settings, which is why I mentioned checking D2VidTst.exe settings and video drivers too in your previous thread, but still, the issues you described are quite unique and you also said you were running a fresh game install. Since it's working right now, you can keep the current settings but I would also give ddraw (a modern and better alternative to glide-wrapper) a try and for that, you will need to select DirectDraw (2D) upon running D2VidTst.exe.

PS: The C000000D error you were getting with D2VidTst.exe is not related to this. That error is merely an annoying popup error that you may get upon closing the game if you are using glide and a certain Windows 10 build number. Microsoft was kind enough to bring it with one of their last year's update, but the error itself causes no issues and the fix is an easy one, as you could see.

colder, Kefflar32 and kiwifruit like this.
  9. JivkoEnev

JivkoEnev Supporter

Nah, it worked only for a brief time then it all went back to how it was before. Am just not going to stop, before I damage my PC by changing stuff I didnt need to change before ;D

• Draft saved Draft deleted