Solved Sting MH causes UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: ACCESS_VIOLATION (c0000005)

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by Metalmaster, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metalmaster

Metalmaster Supporter

Hello,
    Given the fact that this happens only to me, I need help in determining what I am doing wrong.
    I got the game and the patch installed just fine, I can login the server and play but, as soon as I launch sting MH, I get the error specified in the title.
    I reinstalled the game & applied the patch (tried both the executable and the .zip) several times now (registry cleaning included), but the same thing happens.
    I got Avira AV running on my Win10 (yeah, shitty AV) - but this one is not the culprit, because I had some installs with AV being disabled.

What in the frustrating hell am I missing ?
    Thanks in advance

2. inayat

inayat Head Game Master Moderator

Kefflar32 and Gix like this.
  3. Gix

Gix Founder

Hello there,
    This is actually one of the most common windows generic errors and the internet is full of articles and topics about it. There are quite a few threads created on this forum as well where this has been discussed before and they refer strictly to diablo2 and especially to maphacking so make sure you give the search function a try. Inside the maphack archive that you can download from our tools page there is a common readme.txt file name that contains more instructions and troubleshooting so you should definetly check that one out too.
    Based on your post it seems that you're not running the maphack as administrator and it's mandatory to do so especially for newer operating systems so make sure you run both the game and maphack as an administrator, compatibility mode is optional but highly recommended too. You have a guide about most common game errors and their fixes right here. Additionally, as @inayat mentioned and especially if you intend to run the game in full screen mode (by the way, we recommend using window mode over full screen mode in newer operating systems) we recommend downloading the integrated sting maphack instead and that basically means the maphack will automatically start when you run the game. Instructions and everything else you need can be found inside of the readme.txt file that comes with the maphack archive. Let us know if everything worked fine.

Kefflar32 and DarkSummoner like this.
  4. Sergo1

Sergo1 Member

There was a similar problem with my games with Sting, however I found the solution. To prevent crashes, you need to press button "Install Plugin" in sting's configuration window before every creating new game or joining to game. Just press "Alt+Tab" when you in game-starting menu, then "Install Plugin" (no matter that it may be already "installed", if it is not a first game after lounching Daiblo), then again "Alt+Tab" and return to the game-starting menu and start or join to game. It's quite fast - I do so even between baal-runs;).

I play in fullscreen and my Sting is standalone, not integrated. Maybe such method can help and you, Metalmaster;)

5. Metalmaster

Metalmaster Supporter

Thank you all for your help.
    None of the solutions proposed here and in other similar threads solved the issue, but using another configuration file did the job.
    Unfortunately, I cannot pin-point the exact problem with the old cfg file because I overwritten it with the new one and adjusted it back to my own preferred settings.
    But, I am more than certain now that the culprit was either an accidental extra character in one of the settings or a non-UTF8 character that may have caused the compilation to fail.
    Lesson learned: always back up the settings file, especially that there is no syntax validator nor logging for this program.

Cheers!

Gix likes this.
  6. Gix

Gix Founder

Glad to hear that @Metalmaster and thanks for replying back with the solution. You haven't mentioned anywhere in your first post that you modified the config file so we all assumed that you are using a default configuration of the maphack and advices were based on what you told us. If you are doing important changes or any changes at all make sure to mention that in your post as it will help with troubleshooting. Most likely you are correct about having an extra character left by accident somewhere in the old edited configuration file and that triggered the error. Cheers.

Kefflar32 and NoCopyRight like this.
    Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.