Solved Unable to join after clean install

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by JivkoEnev, May 6, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JivkoEnev

JivkoEnev Supporter

Hiya,

so after the last issues I had with my computer completely freezing after closing the game that was happening for no apparent reason I decided to do a clean install and see if that fixes anything.
    I deleted the old game I had, I deleted the registry from regedit, I downloaded the new installer that has been added (d2113_installer), which probably differs from the old (diabloII_113c_portable) that was used before. Installed that one, downloaded the patch, installed that one as well aaaaaand I'm getting the "ACCESS VIOLATION" error.
    Following the instructions on the website I am able to change the game.exe's compatibility mode to XP SP2, but as far as it goes for the launcher itself I have no option to choose XP SP2 as it does not exist for me.
    I also followed every step that Gix has given regarding this exact error and nothing seems to be making a difference. Whether the missing XP SP2 option is the actual issue for it to continue happening I do not know.

Attached Files:

• zz.jpg
      zz.jpg
      File size:
      433.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Gix

Gix Founder

Hello,
    The installer is exactly the same, you are still playing this game on the 1.13 version so that didn't change. You haven't mentioned when you are getting the Access Violation c0000005 error exactly, does it happen right after the game launches or do you get to see the game menu and you get the error upon trying to hit the play online button? Also, tell us what steps you've been trying so far.
    You do not need to change the launcher compatibility.

3. JivkoEnev

JivkoEnev Supporter

4. Gix

Gix Founder

What are your current DEP settings? Change those settings back and forth and restart your computer; if that didn't work try the second option and add Game.exe as an exception then restart your computer again. Also, see if you have the following prerequisites installed.
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable can be downloaded from here and here
    Microsoft .NET Framework can be downloaded from here. In case you wish to use an older version .NET Framework 4.0 it can be downloaded from here

If that didn't work either, I can take a look at it remotely in a few.

Kefflar32 likes this.
  5. JivkoEnev

JivkoEnev Supporter

I already added game.exe as an exception from before and I changed the DEP settings to all files, which seems to have cleared the issue for the time being so I'll leave it as it is. Thanks

6. Gix

Gix Founder

You are very welcome, enjoy.
    Will mark the thread as solved.

Kefflar32 and colder like this.