Solved unhandled exception access violation c00005

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by apathy, Mar 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apathy

apathy Member

When i click to play multiplayer it gets to the checking versions box then kicks me out and shows the unhandled exception access violation c00005. I have reinstalled the game and reinstalled it multiple times, i tried using glide and messing with the compatibility. Any other ideas?

2. DiabloDan

DiabloDan Canadian Forum Legend

3. apathy

apathy Member

4. DiabloDan

DiabloDan Canadian Forum Legend

If you've done everything on that list, and you are still getting the c000005 error, my next guess would be that your ISP (Internet Service Provider) is blocking your connection from reaching our server.

5. vadc

vadc Active Member

So you put it in DEP exception list and still no changes? It is hard to believe. It's a standart fix for this common error.
    Did you restart after putting exe as DEP exception? Sometimes the DEP exception-ing doesn't yield any results and won't even try work without resset.
    Please show your DEP list. :)

Gix likes this.
  6. apathy

apathy Member

That cant be it because it works on other computers just not my laptop.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 4, 2016, Original Post Date: Mar 4, 2016 ---
    Yes I reset my computer after i did the DEP exception list. Still no cigar.

7. Gix

Gix Founder

When you ask for support then you should provide more information than just the error itself and that you reinstalled the client once (most likely you did that without deleting .reg files so that wasn't really the right way). We don't know what Operating System are you running, if you have antivirus installed or not and if yes then what antivirus you got, what version and if it's paid or free licensed.

The ISP is definetly not the issue here so try a fresh reinstall (but make sure to delete reg files too) under a different directory name and if that still doesn't work then my money is on DEP and the antivirus (hope it's not bitdefender free version otherwise get rid of it and fast - avast and avg are far better although bitdefender is the leader on paid antivirus software)

8. apathy

apathy Member

yeah sorry i wasn't more specific i was at work. i am running windows 8 and i did delete the reg files. turned off avast etc. I cant think of anything else that would be causing it.

9. vadc

vadc Active Member

Simple google search yielded me with this result. Some people say it works for them after doing this(w7,8,10):

1. right click on the diablo shortcut.
    2. find and click "open file location"
    3. then find "D2VidTst" (if it works the first time you click it skip to step 10)
    4. right click "D2VidTst"
    5. go to properties.
    6. then (at the top of properties window) click on the compatibility tab.
    7. check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode" (mine is set to run with windows 7, once box is checked, by default for some reason) KEEP IT AS WINDOWS 7
    8. check the box that says "Run as Administrator"
    9. click "Apply" then "OK"
    10. run "D2vidTst" (double click it)
    11. go ahead and click "Run Test" (screen may go black a few times, just wait)
    12. Select the option "DirectDraw (2D)"
    13. click "OK"
    14. run the game.

The game should work if the video above didn't work for you.
    I just dont think the game likes the video mode that runs (3D) make sure the video mode is the (2D) one.

I know this is one of the most basic reasons ever, but, you can't ever know. :) This might very well be the reason if you've downloaded a portable version.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  10. DemiSyke

DemiSyke Member

I'm having the same problem. My operating system is win10 and I've done all the things listed here:
    Also, I'm using the USA version of the game and patch. The realm it sets me to is "International".

11. Mpmeyers

Mpmeyers Supporter

Ok,this might be a silly question but,you did download 1.13 C not D,correct? and sounds like you are having compatibility issues with Windows 10

12. DemiSyke

DemiSyke Member

It's currently v1.13. I can't downgrade with an exe because of the 1.14 diablo II folder (since it only affects the actual folder and not the folder I have for this server). I also can't find the regular 1.13c files so I can just place them into my desktop folder with the current v1.13 folder. I've wasted almost 4 hours trying to figure this out and it has me incredibly stressed.

Edit: Also.. I play the regular Diablo II 1.14 LoD with the settings I currently have for this just fine. The game opens just fine and I can use the chat etc. I just can't join or create games.. and I CAN NOT use an exe file to download 1.13c or to downgrade to 1.13c.

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.