Solved Game crash

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by Alex_1987, Jan 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex_1987

Alex_1987 Senior Member

When I end a game (both with Esc -> Save and Exit or with a Sting hotkey) and start a new one immediately it very often crushes in a first few seconds. Never happens longer in game though. What might be a problem? This error

Halt
    Expression: Unrecoverable internal error 6f8574ae

Cause: Glide wrapper 3dfx in combination with maphack
    Solution: Using ddraw instead of glide 3dfx which is outdated and no longer developed

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2022
  2. Gix

Gix Founder

I know from the other thread that you've been doing various tests with your maphack loot filter so that could be as well the crash reason as this is a maphack related error. Do you use the integrated or the stand-alone version of the Sting maphack? Are you running the game in full-screen mode or any other video modes such as glide, ddraw, etc? Try running the game in window mode and re-download a default loot filter of the maphack (make a backup of your current loot filter first, the file you need to save is d2hackmap.cfg). Did any of this happen before you started modifying the maphack configurations?

3. Alex_1987

Alex_1987 Senior Member

The thing is it never happens when I start the 1st game just after I start Diablo. It always happens when I start next game immediately after I quit old one.
    I see there are topics on this Error on forums. Did not see a solution yet though...
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 12, 2022, Original Post Date: Jan 12, 2022 ---
    p.s. My maphack is integrated.

4. sphinx25

sphinx25 Well-Known Member

It was happening to me as well before the latest ladder reset. A full uninstall / reinstall of the game, with the stand-alone (not integrated) version of Sting got me rid of that pesky issue.
    Try this pill and write back how you're faring.

Gix likes this.
  5. Gix

Gix Founder

Could be that the reinstallation did that for you too @sphinx25, as in general the standalone version is more prone to throw an error. Then again, maphack errors can be a lottery for those who have them and the OS as well as the installed software has a lot to do with it, which isn't a surprise considering it's a very old 3rd party hack after all.

@Alex_1987, follow the rest of my post as well and run the game in plain default window mode with a default loot filter and if that doesn't work then a clean reinstallation is always recommended following these http://forum.europebattle.net/threads/common-game-errors-and-fixes.532466/#post-881523 steps. Also, since you've said you mostly want the reveal map feature to work, you could also give BH maphack a try first. It is more modern, stable and it may suit you better considering you don't necessarily want a loot filter and you have an in-game UI menu where you can enable/disable most of its features.

6. Alex_1987

Alex_1987 Senior Member

7. Gix

Gix Founder

How about we first troubleshoot this and find where the problem is and for that I need you to read the posts in full and follow the instructions as well as answering to some of the questions I've asked. Afterward, we can adjust.

PS: Those threads have a solution but you haven't mentioned if you are using similar settings and other extra tools such as glide wrapper as well or not.

8. Alex_1987

Alex_1987 Senior Member

I ran it windowed for quick 8-10 new games and it was totally stable. Looking pretty bad though.
    Can now run full-screen with default sting cfg, but I don't think I managed to break smth there.
    p.s. And before configuring maphack I did not really make new games, just played the one from the beginning.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 12, 2022, Original Post Date: Jan 12, 2022 ---
    p.p.s. Right, with default cfg file the game still crush. So it must be 3dfx glide.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 12, 2022 ---
    Is there a way to still make it full-screen somehow?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 12, 2022 ---
    Alright, I experimented more.
    I ran D2VidTst and changed to "2D" in the end of the test (even though it proposed me 3dfx). Then I ran launcher and chosen "using D2VidTst settings". The game runs first in a window but can be maximized by Alt+Enter. With this the game runs smoothly and looks nice but new graphic feels a bit weird, can't say exactly why...

9. Gix

Gix Founder

@Alex_1987, we highly recommended running DDraw over Glide Wrapper considering 3dfx is quite old and less friendly on its own or in combination with other 3rd party tools and newer operating systems, not to mention it is not even being actively developed any more unlike DDraw.
    As for the ddraw graphics, you can try out different shaders and use this thread as a reference http://forum.europebattle.net/threads/launcher-options-ddraw-opengl-shaders.546681/ or you can simply disable shaders altogether and use a different renderer, press the cog/gear icon next to -ddraw and adjust the settings to your personal preference.

PS: You can use the edit button under your post when there are no new replies being made and you wish to add newly updated content to your post.

Kefflar32 likes this.
  10. Alex_1987

Alex_1987 Senior Member

Thank you for the link! I was able to find there good settings. Now everything is fixed.
    Did now know DDraw was a preferable option.

Kefflar32 likes this.
  11. Gix

Gix Founder

Glad to hear that, @Alex_1987. While for most people glide 3dfx will work just fine, stability issues are possible in some cases and even more when using multiple 3rd party tools besides, glide has been outdated for quite some time now and ddraw is far superior these days and it's being actively developed to this day too. Enjoy the game! Marking the thread as solved.

Kefflar32 likes this.